Should 24hrs supermarket be able to sell alcohol at anytime?

Should 24hrs supermarket be able to sell alcohol at anytime?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should 24hrs supermarket be able to sell alcohol at anytime?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

• 2 weeks later...

I think they should be able to sell alcohol whenever they are open; I don't see what difference it makes what time of day it is. Current restrictions suggest that people should not be drinking at certain times of the day, and haven't moved on in line with todays 24 hour society.

I agree. 24 hour supermarkets have to put a tape over their wine aisle after 10.30pm, but when I'm in there shopping at 1.30 in the morning I can still hear those little buddies calling out:

"Drink me! Drink me!"

Mmmmm, maybe I should cut down a bit.

It's all part of the Government's plan to bring the UK more into line with the rest of Europe...

Which for once I agree with, cos I mean, if the pubs are open 24 hours, it'll possibly lead to less binge drinking as people won't have to worry about "supping up time" and last orders so they'll not drink so much so fast to get to the bar before last orders and then chuck out time.

The only problem I envisage for it would be getting bar staff to work the small hours, especially given the low pay.

I don't see what the problem is with binge drinking - A few years ago it was having a laugh - now its antisocial behaviour!

Any restrictions tends to affect the people who were just having a laugh. Aggressive nob heads will still be aggressive NHs what ever the law says.

Less rerstriction will be a good thing as there will be a more leisurely dispersal of drinkers and less people crammed into a few pubs at the same time. I thought binge drinking is when you get a large amount of booze down you in a short space of time. I'm no maths scholar but even I can see that the way to reduce this problem is to open pubs longer or sell alcohol 24hrs.

If you send a sober camera crew into a city high street on a saturday night you are going to see a few things - but dont blame binge drinking - good old binge drinking. Because its not really binge drinking - when I was at uni we had the 'Pyjama jump' - a few deaths every year - now that, my friends, was binge drinking! I nearly died in the Hallamshire one time - happy days!!

No, no and no again!!

That would be me out of business!!

In theory i would have to agree though as there is obviously a demand for more drinks past pub closing time, hence my business. Places that are already open 24 hours like Spars and Tesco etc. already have staff working and already have security so selling alcohol should be fairly straight forwards for them if they had the licence for it.

I think the problems would start when late night drinkers start to cross over into the times of early morning workers. The 2 may not mix particularly well.

I may be biased but i like it as it is now, go to the pub, go on to a club if you want then if you want more to drink, get in a taxi go home and phone me. I only deliver to a house address hopefully ensuring that the most drunk people in Sheffield are safe in there own homes, not fighting in the street, weeing in peoples gardens or falling in front of taxis.

So to summerise, no. Phone me instead. (07845 408 498.)

-PK-

(The Forum's resident Booze Baron) ;)