Walnut Club, Ecclesall Rd.

Has anyone been there just for a drink?

I've got some bloke friends coming to visit me from London and want to find a place to impress them (yes i know thats very childish but they see Sheffield as some poor, cold, full-montyish town with people wearing flat caps and being pulled along by whippets (?))

I've put my name down on 'the list' so i won't have any probs getting in, but if its a bit carp then i just won't bother taking them there........you comments would be appreciated......

I'm intrigued to what this place is actually like...sounds like a ******** paradise! Shame really cos rate the restaurant in Hathersage but the whole set up of the bar sounds incredibly poor, I don't think they'd have me!

Edited by medusa
removal of masked swearing

My friend went there last thursday night and said exactly the same.

Last time we went (about 4/5 weeks ago?) it was very good.

Would they let me in? Im just an ordinary person - would I need to have a flash car and expensive clothes to get in? How is that ghost getting on under neath the club in that Plumbers is he still banging round the shop - maybe he miffed he cant get into the Walnut?

Last time we went (about 4/5 weeks ago?) it was very good.

Seconded. Yes they are a bit pretentious and have a strictish door policy but if you dress nicely and don't act like a drunken idiot you shouldn't have any problems. The cocktails are lovely and so is the food.

Has anyone been there just for a drink?

I've got some bloke friends coming to visit me from London and want to find a place to impress them (yes i know thats very childish but they see Sheffield as some poor, cold, full-montyish town with people wearing flat caps and being pulled along by whippets (?))

I've put my name down on 'the list' so i won't have any probs getting in, but if its a bit carp then i just won't bother taking them there........you comments would be appreciated......

It looks rubbish from the outside, but inside it would probably fit the bill if you want to impress your London friends. I've had a couple of meals in there and don't really rate the food or service (especially compared to the other one in Hathersage), so just go in for a drink. Go for food at Milano's instead.

It looks rubbish from the outside, but inside it would probably fit the bill if you want to impress your London friends. I've had a couple of meals in there and don't really rate the food or service (especially compared to the other one in Hathersage), so just go in for a drink. Go for food at Milano's instead.

Milano's is great food but a bit frumpy for impressing the Londoners.

I wasn't mega impressed with the Walnut Club's food the first time i went (soon after them opening) but i put that down to ordering the wrong dish.

The second time was better but for some reason we got chips on every plate?!?! When we mentioned this, they failed to even offer to remove them.

The last time we went things had improved drastically. The food, service and atmosphere was top notch. The food took a while to arrive but didn't bother us at all as we were busy chatting with friends. I'd rather it take a while than being rushed. If i want quick i'll go to Wagamama's or KFC lol.

I'm not a flashy-restaurant/bar kind of guy, but even I find it very hard to take The Walnut Club seriously mainly because it's above a branch of 'The Plumb Centre'.

Not that I've been - It might well be lovely. If I want to impress people I take them for a couple of pints in The Sheaf View, then down London Road to the Cremorne and some Turkish/Noodles. Winner all round.

I've been in for a drink and it was ok, didn't look like somewhere I'd be that bothered about eating though. There was a largish group eating when I was there and they hadn't been given enough room to move their arms, let alone eat.

I've only been in the day to eat, and in the early evening to drink.

I quite like it, but it was quite quiet when I was there.

I was that appauled by the service and terrible food last week that I had to comment on here!!!!! I booked for a table of 8. We arrived and they couldnt find our booking!!!! This was slightly embarrasing as this was for a special occasion. We were told to sit at the bar whilst this was looked into.....we were sat there for quite some time when we felt the need we had to say something as time was ticking on, it was like they had forgot!!....and no offer of a drink as an apology. We were then all squeezed onto a table where you could not move and the seating was far too high (I felt like a child swinging my feet!!!) We then waited ages for a menu to be given to us..to which we had to ask!! The food...well no words express how awful.. to cut a long story short the whole exprience was laughable and very annoying. We all left extremely unhappy and felt they just didnt care about us but were happy to take our money. To top it all off we then over heard a couple on the stairs going mad saying the food was not organic!!!!! That is one reason why we went (not sure how they know this) but terrible if this is true, trades description springs to mind!!! has anyone else heard this or had such a terrible experience as we did? Needless to say we wont be going back...and to think we were going to book our staff christmas party their!!!!! very miffed customers indeed!!!!