Calzaghe v Jones

Calzaghe is fighting another over the hill boxer in Jones when he should be bowing out against someone like Froch or Lucian Bute, still money is money :rolleyes:

I hope Jones has got a team of firefighters in his corner for when his ears are set on fire due to friction. Jones will think he has walked into an Alpine Slapping competition.

Calzage is no fool- he surely wanted this fight as it presents him with a chance to bow out undefeated rather than having to face a younger, fresher opponant (like froch or Pavlik).

I don't blame him- Roy Jones is past his prime but the fight willl generate millions for them each and possible retirement. I like Joe C and hope he wins and then calls it a day.

Only thing is, RJJ will also be up for it- the first man to stop the great Joe C??!! If that happens, expect a re-match.

Calzaghe is fighting another over the hill boxer in Jones when he should be bowing out against someone like Froch or Lucian Bute, still money is money :rolleyes:

I hope Jones has got a team of firefighters in his corner for when his ears are set on fire due to friction. Jones will think he has walked into an Alpine Slapping competition.

As Don King et al are not involved in this fight, it is estimated that Jones and Calzaghe will receive the highest ever pay day for this fight.

Why should he bow out against someone like Froch? Froch's got to earn his shot at greatness, Calzaghe's come up against and beaten better fighters than him.

Good luck to Joe, he deserves his big pay day.

Who has Froch beaten to get a shot at Joe......no one! As for Pavlik old Popkins put him in his place and Lucian Bute...he should have lost his last fight Vs Andrade, that was a joke!

Lets be honest Joe is probably past his best, he no longer has the punching power to knock out opponents, due to his hand problems, so has to rely on his speed and nous. Once Joe retires Kessler will be the new king, of that i am sure :)

Why should he bow out against someone like Froch? Froch's got to earn his shot at greatness, Calzaghe's come up against and beaten better fighters than him.

Good luck to Joe, he deserves his big pay day.

Surely your not implying Joe is great :hihi:

Calzaghe is the anti-thesis of of every true British sports great...He's a winner

Surely your not implying Joe is great

Just merely suggesting that Froch's got a long way to go before he can go toe-to-toe with an undefeated champion.

The fight's on live at The Pomona tonight with a licence til 8am (depending on how long the fight lasts!). It's free entry all night and there's John Smiths for £1.90 and Fosters at £2 a pint plus 3 becks for £5. The atmosphere in there for the Hatton fight last year was amazing so lets hope the same happens again.

I believe they are showing the Hatton fight in 2 weeks as well.

After 12 rounds, the scores are unanimous at 118-109. Calzaghe remains undefeated to forty-six matches.

He got put down in the first round by a forearm smash - probably not deliberate, but definitely illegal - but rounds two onwards, there was only ever one winner. He spend as much time mugging to the cameras as he did keeping his guard up, but even when Jones connected, he could do no damage whatsoever.

A bad cut opened over Jones' left eye in the 7th (?) round, after which he could barely see to block out the right jab. A lot of referees would have stopped it before the 12th.

Not an unexpected result, especially as Jones struggled against Tarver back in 2003, and then losing to Tarver by 2nd round KO to Tarver, and then losing their third fight.

And Antonio Tarver really didn't turn out to be that special, especially after Hopkins took him to school in 2006.

Calzaghe will have two great names on his record Hopkins and Jones, but I think Calzaghe knows that Jones has been in decline as early as the night he took on John Ruiz for the heavyweight title.

Calzaghe should retire as he has done well to remain unbeaten in all his 46 fights, although I think the true boxing fan knows that had a peak Calzaghe met a peak Jones and a peak Hopkins in his career, then it's likely that Calzaghe would have at least 2 losses against his name.