Abortion/ Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor

Guest nslack

The head of the Catholic Church in England and Wales has compared abortion to 'Nazi style birth control'

See here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4385573.stm

To be honest I think this is disgraceful, to compare the planned genocide of 6 million 'inferior' human beings out of hate and disgust to abortion is, in my view, disgusting. I understand catholic views on abortion and completely accept this, in fact i have not made my own mind up to what is right and wrong yet, but abortion should never be compared to Genocide, despite your views on it.

My view has always been that it is entirely the womans choice. Even if she was carrying my child. After all its her who carries it for 9 months.

I do agree with abortion, however i think the legal limit of 24 weeks need revising. As medical advances have been made it is possible that a baby born at 23 weeks can survive. Not many do but as it has happened the limit needs revising. I think 20 weeks should be the limit for abortions. As scanning has progressed the anomoly scan can be done sucessfuly at 18-19 weeks which would still allow parents a choice if problems were found. Abortion for serious abnormalities that would be fatal at birth should be allowed later.

This has happened before when the limit was reduced from 26 weeks to 24 weeks.

To compare abortion with the holocaust is irresponsible and just trying to create contraversy.

Originally posted by Sal22

I do agree with abortion, however i think the legal limit of 24 weeks need revising. As medical advances have been made it is possible that a baby born at 23 weeks can survive. Not many do but as it has happened the limit needs revising. I think 20 weeks should be the limit for abortions. As scanning has progressed the anomoly scan can be done sucessfuly at 18-19 weeks which would still allow parents a choice if problems were found. Abortion for serious abnormalities that would be fatal at birth should be allowed later.

This has happened before when the limit was reduced from 26 weeks to 24 weeks.

To compare abortion with the holocaust is irresponsible and just trying to create contraversy.

sounds like a pretty reasonable position to take. I agree pending further research.

Guest nslack

Any Catholics out there? C'mon, you won't be persecuted (I hope, or should I say, I'd like to hope))

Lapsed catholic here ;) I used to be very narrowminded about abortion in my youth. Probably in part to do with a catholic upbringing and niavety. I definitely believe it's a woman choice. However I agree with Sall22 - 24 weeks/6 months!!needs revising.

Originally posted by AJ sheffield

My view has always been that it is entirely the womans choice. Even if she was carrying my child. After all its her who carries it for 9 months.

see I hate this point of view. It should be mainly the mother's choice but also imput from the father. Considering its likely to be the father paying for the little one he deserves some rights

I'd also say that Catholocism has probably made more peoples lives a misery than were killed in the Holocaust. To brand doctors who are doing their job as mass murderers is bang out of order.

Catholocism is by far the dirtiest of religions and the first one that should be eradicated. Here's the biggest example of fascism abroad in the world today.

Originally posted by robbie

see I hate this point of view. It should be mainly the mother's choice but also imput from the father. Considering its likely to be the father paying for the little one he deserves some rights

But if the woman decides to have an abortion the father doesn't have to pay maintenance anyway. At least the man and woman both have a choice in producing a pregnancy (except in the case of rape), unlike the aborted baby who has no choice at all.

Guest karenjane39

It shouldn't be the fact that the father will be paying for the little one that gives him his rights in the choice of abortion. That makes it sound like the father is more concerned about his economical situation than the loss of a potential son or daughter.

I do believe in abortion but believe, like sal22, that the limit needs lowering to at least 18-19 weeks.

Sorry Robbie my post was too brief for me to explain my full view. What I mean is I dont have any ownership or control over any womans body. If a woman was pregnant with my child and she wanted an abortion for whatever reason I would accept it as her right as a human being and an individual to excercise control over her own body. I might not like the decision but as I said, I am not carrying it for 9 months. The rights of the woman are much more important than the rights of both the man and the unborn child, although only up to a point with regards to the latter, and even then only in certain circumstances.

The Cardinal should know his Catholic history a bit better. It was Pope Pious (I forget which one) who ignored The Holocost at the time it was happening even though he was quite aware of what wass going on.

Also, several high profile Nazi war criminals (such as Adolf Eichmann) were helped to escape to south America by the Catholic church after the war.