Jamie Oliver disrespectful to Rotherham?

shihtzumad

Once you know how to cook and are confident you get the knack of adapting recipes. I was watching that pancetta thing and straight away thought about making it with bacon instead, and serving up other veg. Asparagus is vile and just wrong out of season ;)

That's my point - are the people in his class going to learn the basic skills of having core recipes that can form the basis of many meals? Will they be able to improvise and 'make do'? Will they be able to look in their cupboards and think up something to make from what they have left, or will they be stuck to the only recipes they know from Jamie?

If he can teach them the skills of thrift, improvisation and imagination in cooking then this might just be sustainable.

Why doesn't he start with the basics, instead of introducing these luxury ingredients which might put people off implementing the recipes when they come to follow them on their own?

That's my point - are the people in his class going to learn the basic skills of having core recipes that can form the basis of many meals? Will they be able to improvise and 'make do'? Will they be able to look in their cupboards and think up something to make from what they have left, or will they be stuck to the only recipes they know from Jamie?

If he can teach them the skills of thrift, improvisation and imagination in cooking then this might just be sustainable.

Why doesn't he start with the basics, instead of introducing these luxury ingredients which might put people off implementing the recipes when they come to follow them on their own?

I think the ability to make recipes up comes with confidence - with having cooked for a while. I'm sure they'll get to that stage if they stick with it.

You can hardly ask someone who has never cook to 'make something from these leftovers'

I think the pancetta recipe (I presume that's what you mean by luxury ingredients) was Mick's own - unless I missed a bit while I was making tea :)

Incidentally, if you make the pasta, pancetta and pea thing Mick made - but throw in some toasted pine nuts (I just put them in the pan first and toast them in some oil) and then stir in some pesto at the end it's nicer :)

I'm sure they would - it's the 'sticking to it' bit that's going to be difficult, if once you have learnt these recipes you go to try and replicate them and find out you can't afford the ingredients you were taught with, or that they're not available in your local shop.

The pancetta recipe I was on about was the one he did with the hundred blokes at the footie ground - chicken breast pan-fried with cheese and pancetta and served with asparagus.

Why couldn't he have done it with bacon and beans or peas? Just pointless poncy-ing cheffiness in my opinion.

Slap a bit of bbq sauce on it and you've got hunters chicken!! Yum!

ETA: To me pancetta and asparagus are luxury ingredients that are never available in my local shop, more's the pity... although I'd splash out if I had friends coming for dinner x

Ah - the one at the football ground was with prosciutto - available in the little Sommerfield in Maltby, so Mick would be fine :)

You'll not get fresh asparagus there though - they rarely have apples worth eating!

The one Mick made himself had pancetta in it.

I guess Jamie thought that by getting people to cook with ingredients they normally wouldn't consider, it showed that it is really simple to cook - even 'poncey things'

Ah - the one at the football ground was with prosciutto - available in the little Sommerfield in Maltby, so Mick would be fine :)

You'll not get fresh asparagus there though - they rarely have apples worth eating!

The one Mick made himself had pancetta in it.

I guess Jamie thought that by getting people to cook with ingredients they normally wouldn't consider, it showed that it is really simple to cook - even 'poncey things'

Prosciutto, that's it, my confusion.

As I understood it, the people on the show don't cook full stop, it's not a case of getting put off by poncey ingredients.

It's not really that big a deal, I just got annoyed by it because to me it seemed to demonstrate his lack of understanding of what food ordinary people can afford to buy!

ETA: To me pancetta and asparagus are luxury ingredients that are never available in my local shop, more's the pity... although I'd splash out if I had friends coming for dinner x

Heeley Co-op by any chance? ;) But there's more chance of getting the asparagus there than in that green grocers that has in the past sold me some very unpleasant veg. Least the Co-op do some very good, quality items like their legendary profiteroles that are nearly as nice as mine :D The butcher might get you all sorts of meat though, he's very good :thumbsup: