Strada, Leopold Sq

We went here last night, service was terrible...

We got in and it was maybe 20% full, got told to go sit at the bar while a table was got ready.... went there and no-one served us at all.

Then got ushered to the table, where it took ages to even place a drinks order. The waiters knew nothing at all about wine, one of them even said 'i know nothing about red wine because i cant drink it' - we wanted a shiraz type wine and got reccomended one by the 2nd waiter, and it tasted awful. The 2nd bottle we had was very nice, but we chose that ourselves. Completely the opposite of the service at Nonnas - they know their wines.

Anyway, food came and was very nice...

Asked for the bill, and when the member of our party who was paying had typed his pin in the machine, he realised the waiter had already added on the 'optional' service charge of over £15 - and then we were told we couldnt get it refunded! 'Optional' to me means optional, as in, crap service = no tip!

I found it shocking to be honest, and will certainly be taking all future business to Zizzi accross the way, similar food but much better feeling on your way out the door.

They seem to be getting a lot of mixed reviews judging on word of mouth and the other Strada threads on here.... Not sure I'll go anytime soon.

Dont bother, it will just irritate you.

No such thing as bad publicity? I think not.

i've been to a few Strada's around the country and usually they are pretty good, but I've been to the Sheffield one twice and it's definitely the worst. The service is pretty bad, having to wait a long time for a waitress, our food, and our bill. One time they put two bottles of wine on our bill when we had only had one... and only after asking to see the manager did it get sorted out.

I've also tried to get there for the lunchtime specials but each time we've been turned away "because it's too busy" and they can't have been more than 2/3 full.

The food at Strada is generally really nice, and I prefer the menu to Zizzi's, but the sheffield one needs to sort out it's management/service.

Only eaten there once and enjoyed it. had a fish stew , it was very nice , the garlic bread was good. the pizza base was very very tasty, a bit like portofinos pizza dough which was divne. sad to see them go.

Noticed the service was slowish bill was correct

Went last week and cant fault it.

Food very good, service very good - no problems at all, and I'm massively fussy.

went to strada last week and i must say I concur with the views expressed. The service is certai8nly lacking and whilst the food is okay the fact that the waiters have a very poor knowledtge of wines and give rubbish recommendations makes it a disappointingt experience. The food is overpriced in my view, atmosphere is lacking and nonnas is better any day.

Agree with the above comments - the food is okay as in nothing wrong with it but it really doesn't excite you, but the general service takes the edge off a night and i will not be going back soon. And don't blame the staff for not knowing the wines - blame the management ! Zizzi much better overall experience but agree with sipra - Nonna's any day !

Quite good food but we also had a mixed experience with the service. It was friendly but we had to ask about 3 times for bread - got it halfway through our main course - and they got something else wrong.

Took the family to Strada yesterday (New Years eve), after Aladdin at Lyceum (great family show). Service and food were really good, and I'd go there again - which makes a change, because eating out in Sheffield is usually disappointing.

On the inclusive service charge thing: this is lamentable, but easily addressed by tipping staff in cash at the table. If you put it on the card, tips are taxed, so they really won't mind this option.

You must be eating at the wrong places normally Kinch. Strada seems to be a bit hit and miss doesn't it, although there's more bad comments about service than good.

This isn't the first or only thread criticising it.

Went to Strada but it was badly organised. Managers and chefs lounging about in the restaurant talking to their friends and what looked like girlfriends on a quiet sunday shift. Food was pretty avg. Would definately recommend zizzi. 15% service. LOL. that took the p*ss. Won't be going back in a hurry.