Help - what spec laptop do I need for a teenager?

SHsheff

I'm needing to buy a laptop for my son and really haven't a clue what I should be looking for. Make.....spec......price.... supplier....?? (obviously I want to spend as little as poss while still getting something that will do the job - don't we all!).

He needs it for schoolwork, but also the usual internet communication stuff like msn, plays Runescape, and downloads music and films.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks a lot!

For general internet/homework use, you could get away with a cheap lower spec laptop, but if you son is a avid gamer, then you will probably be looking for something more expensive.

Runescape isn't that demanding, but if he plays games like Call of Duty 4, then things may well start getting expensive. :gag:

Have you got a ball-park figure on how much you are willing to spend?

For general internet/homework use, you could get away with a cheap lower spec laptop, but if you son is a avid gamer, then you will probably be looking for something more expensive.

Runescape isn't that demanding, but if he plays games like Call of Duty 4, then things may well start getting expensive. :gag:

Have you got a ball-park figure on how much you are willing to spend?

Not sure how much I need to spend - does £300 tops sound like I might get something appropriate? I've been caught out once by being a cheapskate and buying him a reconditioned one that was a waste of space, so this time I'd like to get something that he can actually use!

but if you son is a avid gamer, then you will probably be looking for something more expensive.

Tough. Though it could be argued that to 'go without' an PSegXBox360 would justify a greater spend on PC gaming hardware.

Why does he need a laptop instead of a 'desktop'?

What about this one?

http://www.nice-pc.co.uk/acatalog/info_CUZ_N_GBR_VARIO039.html

To be fair though, you could use an 8 year old laptop for the purposes you have mentioned provided you have broadband.

Ask your son what he is after, but bare in mind a computer designed for playing games may not be the best thing for him, its another distraction from doing work.

What about this one?

http://www.nice-pc.co.uk/acatalog/info_CUZ_N_GBR_VARIO039.html

To be fair though, you could use an 8 year old laptop for the purposes you have mentioned provided you have broadband.

Ask your son what he is after, but bare in mind a computer designed for playing games may not be the best thing for him, its another distraction from doing work.

If you go for that one youll need to get Vista off it and put XP on. There is no way that lappy will run vista at anything other than a snails pace.

If you go for that one youll need to get Vista off it and put XP on. There is no way that lappy will run vista at anything other than a snails pace.

vista can be a pain for running msn too, I have to use web messenger if I want to use msn, that should be noted, an xp laptop would probably be best for the OP's son, but you can't get them new anymre I don't think :(

vista can be a pain for running msn too, I have to use web messenger if I want to use msn, that should be noted, an xp laptop would probably be best for the OP's son, but you can't get them new anymre I don't think :(

I think a few makers went back to putting XP on a selcted range of lappys (im sure dell was one of them)

My friend got a lovely Asus laptop for around £400 and it really was awful with vista. As soon as i put xp on it it flew.

I think a few makers went back to putting XP on a selcted range of lappys (im sure dell was one of them)

My friend got a lovely Asus laptop for around £400 and it really was awful with vista. As soon as i put xp on it it flew.

Dell still has the option , i looked last week when pricing one up. Vista is like driving with the handbrake on your car to laptops to descried it in easy terms.

If you want a game machine laptop then you need to look for one with a dedicated 3D graphic chip. if you look at HP/Compaq range that is about £349 range they come with a Geforce 6 mobile which will play all games on the market.

If you want PS3 or Xbox 360 type graphics in a lappy then your looking at £2000+ :loopy:

Alright, I think someone needs to break ranks here.

I think it would be a mistake to buy a laptop with XP on now instead of Vista. The laptop recommended above will run Vista fine in my experience. I find Vista (with some options toned down) no slower than an equivalent, but with 1/2 gig less memory, running XP. 2gb is fine.