The Kevin Keegan Megathread

Snook

You mean you haven't BEEN watching for the last five years? You didn't notice Chelsea go from two-bit occasional Cup team into one of the dominant forces in European football, based on nothing other than one man's cheque book?

What are you waiting for? It's already been done.

So the inspirational leadership of John Terry (who might I add was taken to the club without the help of Abramovich's billions), the midfield dynamism of Frank Lampard (also signed before the millions!) and the managerial genius of Jose Mourinho had nothing to do with it?

Supporters don't pay Chelsea's wages; nor will they pay Man City's, any more. That's rather the point.

Would Drogba, Essien, Ballack, Shevchenko et al (and not forgetting Robinho), really have moved to their respective clubs if every week they pulled on the club's colours to run around on a patch of grass surrounded by 30,000+ empty chairs?

Most professional players (especially in the Premiership) have huge egos, they need to feel valued, supported and loved. Exactly the reason Robinho has moved from Real Madrid IMO. He could have got megabucks at Real, but he wants to be part of a team where he's not just another "Galactico", but where he's someone the fans love and adore. Without the fans, professional players would all just be running around grass with no-one to watch them, and what would be the use of that to their respective egos?

Wouldnt be suprised to see KK back at the toon after Ashley sells the club,if not as manager then in a job upstairs

Theres no way the toon fans will accept what has happend,and even though i dont think Keegan is a decent manager at least he is 100% honest

He's still a quitter,his problem is,and he himself may know this,He's just not good enough to last the course,A good championship manager...maybe,Premier manager..not a chance.As a player he was not what I would call talented,yes he had a big heart and would run all day but as far as natural footballing talent he was lacking compared to the likes of Hoddle.Frank Lampard reminds me of him,he ought to get down on his knees and thank god every time he pulls on a England shirt

Kev ain't no damn quitter. He was blatantly pushed. They made his position untenable, refused to sack him to avoid the severance pay-out, probably delayed the crisis with empty promises so he'd not go before the end of the transfer window (thereby preventing the immediate departure of Owen), treated him like dirt.

I would love it, LOVE IT if Sparky took over at the Toon and King Kev was allowed to have fun at the Middle Eastlands.

Kev ain't no damn quitter. He was blatantly pushed. They made his position untenable, refused to sack him to avoid the severance pay-out, probably delayed the crisis with empty promises so he'd not go before the end of the transfer window (thereby preventing the immediate departure of Owen), treated him like dirt.

I would love it, LOVE IT if Sparky took over at the Toon and King Kev was allowed to have fun at the Middle Eastlands.

You dont honestly think Sparky is going to daft enough to leave Eastlands now do you?and Keegan wouldnt go within 20 miles of Eastlands he knows he cant cut it with the big boys and he wouldnt be able to fall back on ..Iv got no money..excuses there

You dont honestly think Sparky is going to daft enough to leave Eastlands now do you?and Keegan wouldnt go within 20 miles of Eastlands he knows he cant cut it with the big boys and he wouldnt be able to fall back on ..Iv got no money..excuses there

No I know Hughes won't be leaving, but I kind of wish he would. He could go to the Toon y'see. As for Kev, you're doing him a dis-service. He's the ace-est, bestest, most superdooper manager going... in terms of entertainment. He'd be top choice for a team of superstars: None of this cagey, tactical nonsense. Attack, and if that don't work... attack some more.

Nah, Keegan's not thge sort of chap you'd trust with an established club but he IS the sort of chap who - given the opportunities (ie signings) - could get a team INTO the top four.

• 1 year later...
He's still a quitter,his problem is,and he himself may know this,He's just not good enough to last the course,A good championship manager...maybe,Premier manager..not a chance.As a player he was not what I would call talented,yes he had a big heart and would run all day but as far as natural footballing talent he was lacking compared to the likes of Hoddle.Frank Lampard reminds me of him,he ought to get down on his knees and thank god every time he pulls on a England shirt

How silly do you feel this morning? :)