Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

...I worked at Woolworths in 1964 when I was at school, filling shelves up and crushing cardboard boxes upstairs...
Yep - been there, done that! The piles of flattened cardboard boxes were put into a machine that compressed them into neat bales for recycling. In c. 1958 the manager of Woolworths looked like David Niven.

Yep - been there, done that! The piles of flattened cardboard boxes were put into a machine that compressed them into neat bales for recycling. In c. 1958 the manager of Woolworths looked like David Niven.

you got it ...wonder if they still do that

again, apologies if already covered, but, in the little alleyway (arch) that led to the rear of 20/22, there was a firm ..." Justices" , I think . Who were they ?

Roger

... in the little alleyway (arch) that led to the rear of 20/22, there was a firm ..." Justices" , I think...
Hi Roger - I don't remember this but, sure enough, the 1942 directory shows "William James Justice, sheet metal worker" at 22a Middlewood Road. The next directory I have is of 1954, by which time he had moved to "Langsett Works, Langsett Road".

Bill Justice did motor car boy repairs,he moved to new premises at the bottom of Herries Rd where Beres's is now.

Hi Roger - I don't remember this but, sure enough, the 1942 directory shows "William James Justice, sheet metal worker" at 22a Middlewood Road. The next directory I have is of 1954, by which time he had moved to "Langsett Works, Langsett Road".

Good one Phil, my Mum remembers the name but not what they were.

My Dad parked his car up this alleyway, behind the shop.

Every night he would carry the day`s takings in a briefcase up here to the car, in winter it was pitch black. he was never mugged once. Sign of the times eh!

I think the back of the Kinema was in this yard too. Many a time I would stand out front when an `A` film was on and ask a someone to take me in, Oh Boy ! would you do that these days !

Bill Justice did motor car boy repairs,he moved to new premises at the bottom of Herries Rd where Beres's is now.
Yep - here's an advert. from the 1973 directory.
...I think the back of the Kinema was in this yard too. Many a time I would stand out front when an `A` film was on and ask a someone to take me in...
The Kinema was adjacent to the yard (here's an early 1950s map of the area) though the usual back and side doors were accessed from Proctor Place. I also well remember asking to be taken into an 'A' film! I also remember once going to the Park Cinema and then realising that I was 3d short of the admission money. Fortunately the manager happened to be in the foyer and he kindly gave me a threepenny bit so I could see the film!.:)

Yep - here's an advert. from the 1973 directory.The Kinema was adjacent to the yard (here's an early 1950s map of the area) though the usual back and side doors were accessed from Proctor Place. I also well remember asking to be taken into an 'A' film! I also remember once going to the Park Cinema and then realising that I was 3d short of the admission money. Fortunately the manager happened to be in the foyer and he kindly gave me a threepenny bit so I could see the film!.:)

Hi Philip - I knew that Justice was a General Sheet Metal Co as I was in the business, could you extend your map a little to the right and down. I had connections to Melluish Bros also in the same business. The entrance being off Bradfield rd up a lane but lower down than the entrance to The Blue Ball. On a visit a few years ago I had a pre-arranged meeting with an old friend in the same area, the lane was still there but had changed on walking up. Thanks hillsbro, if not able to do it don't worry.

...Melluish Bros also in the same business. The entrance being off Bradfield rd up a lane but lower down than the entrance to The Blue Ball...
Directories show "Melluish Bros., welders" at 88a Bradfield Road, arrowed on this map..:)

Directories show "Melluish Bros., welders" at 88a Bradfield Road, arrowed on this map..:)

Thanks hillsbro - fleetwood

Hello all,

I am Roger, Ian`s brother. Well, Cheetham, call yourself a Wednesdayite. Even I, a dyed in the wool Blade, managed the final in 66. Will you be going to the playoffs this year ?

I have memories to share later, but, meanwhile, does anyone remember Herretts Carpets. I was at School with Andy Herrett in 58`

Great site. The mention of the Misses Kaye, made me shudder

Roger

So Mr Aramis Tufft, will you be going to the playoffs by by any chance??

So Mr Aramis Tufft, will you be going to the playoffs by by any chance??

yes, good one ...........I crowed too early !!!!

R

yes, good one ...........I crowed too early !!!!

R

Yes, you and Ian both! Anyway, let's hope we can still have the derbies next year. I'll be supporting you to go up! I can't remember if we ever met, but can you believe Ian and I have been mates for almost 50 years!