Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

Hello all,

I am Roger, Ian`s brother. Well, Cheetham, call yourself a Wednesdayite. Even I, a dyed in the wool Blade, managed the final in 66. Will you be going to the playoffs this year ?

I have memories to share later, but, meanwhile, does anyone remember Herretts Carpets. I was at School with Andy Herrett in 58`

Great site. The mention of the Misses Kaye, made me shudder

Roger

So Mr Aramis Tufft, will you be going to the playoffs by by any chance??

yes, good one ...........I crowed too early !!!!

R

Yes, you and Ian both! Anyway, let's hope we can still have the derbies next year. I'll be supporting you to go up! I can't remember if we ever met, but can you believe Ian and I have been mates for almost 50 years!

• 1 month later...

I remember Althams Hardware and Travel shop on the corner of Taplin Road and Middlewood Rd. Near Althams on Middlewood Road was a cobbler's shop, Freeman's and also Styrings (?) drink shop - my favourite was mint but I once tried Sarsparilla - yeuk! Styrings had wooden benches all round the walls and was very dark. I also remember the lady who sold fruit and vegetables from a barrow at the end of Roselle St, she lived in Beechwood Road.

Howard's Dairy was in the premises lately occupied by the Social Services just before the top of Hawksley Avenue - they sold wonderful icecream. The Post Office, before it was in Hillsborough Place, used to be opposite the end of Taplin Road on the other side of Middlewood Road and there was a dry cleaner's next door (?) where we used to take my dad's overalls. At the other side was a sort of stationery shop run by two elderly spinster sisters. Was the big shop near Baines Opticians, which sold all sorts of clothing, called Bridgewaters?

Kelseys' pork pies and pork sandwiches were delicious, but I was very shy of young Mr Kelsey who was an awful tease. We also bought chitterlings and bag there. Hemmings grocers was on Holme Lane and I remember the huge bacon slicer and an enormous mountain of butter which was sold loose.

"Going round Hillsbro'" was a real treat!!

Edited by susie1

Yes - I just looked in the 1954 directory and the entry reads "Mrs I. Edmonds, shopkeeper"..:thumbsup:

Mrs Edmonds ran the shop at the top of Haden Street on the left hand side looking up the street - before Edmonds it was Mrs Milner's. The "cafe" was on the opposite corner, but I'm not sure that the Edmonds ran it.

At the bottom of Haden Street was Clayton's Icecream factory, my gran lived next door at 2 Haden St. My mum and her brothers and sister were all born there and when they were children (pre 2 WW), the premises were a slaughterhouse and they used to sit on their garden wall and watch the cattle being herded down. Even when Claytons were running the icecream business, my relatives refered to it as "dahn t'slaughter".

On summer's evenings, especially Sunday, we used to wait for the icecream vans to return and then go out with a basin or pint pot and get it filled up "for a tanner" - my nan chose carefully which van to stop, because some of them were "skinny" and others generous.

Going back to Hillsborough shops, I remember a dress shop called Eve Lynns, The Stocking Shop, Matthews Wool Shop and another wool shop - name forgotten, Fearnleys?

Edited by susie1

...Matthews Wool Shop and another wool shop - name forgotten, Fearnleys?
Hi Susie1 - that was Lily Fernee's shop. I'm glad you've confirmed which corner of Haden Street the café was on, as that's how I remember it. In 1957 "pie & peas" cost 1s 3d (why do I remember odd details like that?.:confused:)

Styran's drink shop and herbalist's was one of the oldest businesses in Hillsborough, dating from 1902 when Walter Styran "herbalist and botanic drink brewer" opened the shop at 27 Middlewood Road. Walter's son (also Walter) eventually took over with his wife Elsie. After Walter Jnr. died in 1957, Elsie ran the shop until she retired about ten years later. The Styrans had lived at the back but Elsie moved to Trickett Road and lived to the ripe old age of 97.

The dry cleaner's opposite Taplin Road was Martin's. The post office nearby became much too small for the expanding business and moved to the new building in Hillsborough Road in 1961. Howard's ice cream was the best - long after the shop closed an old friend of my dad's told me that he had their ice cream recipe. He was always going to give it to me but then he pegged out - I suppose he's enjoying a daily Howard's cornet in the great beyond...:|

The two spinsters who ran the paper shop were Marion and Clarice Kay - see for example post #139 on Page 7 of this thread. The optician was actually Miss Greaves (Baines was the jeweller's). Do you remember the big barometer in the window? It's still there - for a photo click on the link in post #365 (Page 19). The double-width clothing shop was indeed Bridgwater's. See post #28 on Page 2 re Sydney Hemmines' shop.

I also remember Altham's; it must have closed around 1970. The Altham's chain of travel agents started in Lancashire in the 1870s; they had lots of branches in the North (with hardware apparently a sideline) and the travel business is still going strong in Lancashire and Yorkshire; there's also a branch in Scunthorpe.

It's interesting that you mention the slaughterhouse. I remember an elderly neighbour of ours in Dykes Hall Road, Gladys Watson, telling me that the farmers would drive their cows, pigs etc. down the road to the slaughterhouse, and sometimes they would run down the gennel and rampage round the gardens.

Memories!