What's your PC called?

does it have a name or just a number? Did you name it yourself or was it named when you bought it?

If you go into the control panel and click system choose the computer name and see what`s in there.

I tend to just name them after the manufacturer, or case manufacturer, so I currently have Akasa, Cooler (Coolermaster), Vaio1 and Vaio2.

When I used to run a "proper" webhosting setup, I named our servers after things that got me going in the morning, so we had Croissant (the firewall with the hole in it), Cigarette (the smoking webserver) and Coffee (the caffeine-powered database server). When we added a second webserver I called it Chocolate. Funny how many good things start with a "C".

The IT department of the company where I was based, who were helping me to get these machines up and running, were a little dismissive and at the same time a little jealous of my whacky naming scheme. Their servers had exciting names like "S0197".

In the computer industry, many of the sad types in server rooms name their servers after things from star wars or red dwarf.

I however am cool and have 2 sets of 3 machines at work.

Compo Clegg and Foggy

In tribute to last of the summer wine,

Derek Smalls,

David St. Hubbins

and Nigel Tuffnell

In gracious thanks to the inspiring Genius of Spinal Tap

Originally posted by muddycoffee

In the computer industry, many of the sad types in server rooms name their servers after things from star wars or red dwarf.

I however am cool and have 2 sets of 3 machines at work.

Compo Clegg and Foggy

In tribute to last of the summer wine,

Derek Smalls,

David St. Hubbins

and Nigel Tuffnell

In gracious thanks to the inspiring Genius of Spinal Tap

yes... much better :).

ps. mines called colin

Archived