Sign in to follow this  

Phones, Cable, Internet, etc...

Hi everyone! :wave:

As some of you might remember, I am a Canadian moving my family to Sheffield so that I can do my Masters. I just got a house there in July (thank-you all for you suggestions and advise, I couldn't have done it without you!:lol: ) but am now faced with the almost overwhelming task of chosing phone/cable/internet etc companies. :help: As I don't know any of them, could someone please recommend something? At this stage, my only requirements are cheap international calls and a FAST internet. Thank you!

For internet have a look at the adsl guide

I am with Telewest for internet and phone and am more than happy with the service, if i have a problem which is rare they send an engineer out within 2 days. You have to be in a cabled area though.

I'm with Plusnet for broadband and my experience, and looking at the link above a fair few others', is nothing but good. They passed on BT's bulk savings on the next bill unlike other providers. They are also based in Sheffield so you will be contributing to the local economy.

I'm still with BT for 'phone but may change if I get me a*se into gear. Their charges for overseas calls seem on a par with others.

We are with telewest for broadband and telephone. Their website is here here and you can check to see if their service is available in your area

The broadband works out cheaper per month if you have either the tv or phone too. They also have a service which gives you free local calls anytime of the day you pay a standard £16 I think it is.

Moon

for cheap international calls - use calling cards - there are freephone numbers available as well as local rate numbers - i use a card called "world call" and you can get around 300 minutes of calls to USA for £5.

The cards are readily available from most asian grocery shops as they are primarily used for calls to asian countries.

Originally posted by maxt

I'm with Plusnet for broadband and my experience, and looking at the link above a fair few others', is nothing but good. They passed on BT's bulk savings on the next bill unlike other providers. They are also based in Sheffield so you will be contributing to the local economy.

I'm still with BT for 'phone but may change if I get me a*se into gear. Their charges for overseas calls seem on a par with others.

Do you have a contact for plusnet maxt.

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

Do you have a contact for plusnet maxt.

Here: http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

If you do decide to sign up send me a pm and I'll reveal my identity so you can put me down as a referaller (made up word).

Thanks everyone! As always, you guys come through for me! I will indeed be checking out these companies. Thanks again :D