St Marys Church Murder - photo

I have been digging about in my old photos again and came across this one.

Murder

My late dad is one of the coppers on this photo taken just after a murder in St Marys church on St Marys road.

I was only in my teens at the time but what I can remember him telling me was that a Cleaning lady in the church was beaten to death in front of the alter by a naked man. I remember my dad telling me at the time that the murderer was shouting, screaming, quoting from the Bible and struggling so much the police had difficulty controling him, my dad was sent off to find some rope to tie him up with and went onto shoreham street to a newsagent and took the binding rope they used to wrap the "Stars" up in.

What year was this? I think around 1970. Does anyone else remember this murder?

Edited by Lostrider

yes, i remember the murder. apparantly he had taken LSD or something and thought he was an orange and the cleaning lady was going to squeeze the juice out of him. in later years i worked for a company called vestric which was diagonally opposite the church.

The lady who was murdered in the church was my nan her name was Lily Haythorne do you have any more information or photos

Was the man coloured ? Im sure I remember this but dont know what year.I think he is still in Rampton or somewhere.

yes i am sure he was a black man and i am sure he was released after serving only 7 years, i can remember calendar news coming round to tell my mum he had been released

The lady who was murdered in the church was my nan her name was Lily Haythorne do you have any more information or photos

Sorry I have no more infromation apart from the man was black.

I have been digging about in my old photos again and came across this one.

My late dad is one of the coppers on this photo taken just after a murder in St Marys church on St Marys road.

I was only in my teens at the time but what I can remember him telling me was that a Cleaning lady in the church was beaten to death in front of the alter by a naked man. I remember my dad telling me at the time that the murderer was shouting, screaming, quoting from the Bible and struggling so much the police had difficulty controling him, my dad was sent off to find some rope to tie him up with and went onto shoreham street to a newsagent and took the binding rope they used to wrap the "Stars" up in.

What year was this? I think around 1970. Does anyone else remember this murder?

Searching the Scene of the crime

I worked on Boston Street at the time and if I remember correctly it was 1966.

I remember it very well.I lived opposite Mrs Hawthorn on Franklin St when it happend.She was a nice lady and so was her family.

Ive since found out that it happened on either 7th / 8th December in 1968. Anyone know any more information about the guy who did it or anything else?

Ive since found out that it happened on either 7th / 8th December in 1968. Anyone know any more information about the guy who did it or anything else?

Yes, you are right he was released .Wonder if he still lives in Sheffield,and how old he is ? Must have been very upsetting for you.

my grandad told me about this - he said it was his relation - am sure he said it was his cousin