Have you gone back to cheap chicken?

i had tried free range previous to the Hugh Fearnly Witless-stall debarcle and found them very tasty and juicy indeed. The price doesn;t really worry me, just a few quid more for top quality. However the week after the telly programmes Waitrose were stocking about 98% free range, the rest being farm assured. The GM was chivying the staff saying get the shelves stocked with free range everywhere! However now you are lucky if you can find one free range chicken. It shows you how fickle even ethical supermarkets can be. The credit crunch is obviously influencing their offering. Nothing wrong with their farm assured by the way, they source very ethically.

if you find it too pricey why dont you have it as a treat

Chicken or the free range?

Long way from Doncaster for chicken though

True, but the point I was trying to make is that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for free range, you just need to shop around a bit.

The farm shop near us sells free range chicken breast fillets at roughly the same price as Sainsburys non-free range.

Which farm shop is this please? I'd be interested, thanks!

I only ever buy free range chicken now, I prefer the taste. A good while ago couldn't get any free range and wanted to do a chicken roast. I honestly didn't like it at all and I cooked it exactly the same as usual. It might just be that I got used to the taste? Or is it all in the mind? Who knows...

I grew up in a house where every penny was precious, so consider myself very fortunate that I do have the choice. Lets face it, if it was a choice between feeding your family or not, would you not buy it as well?? I'm sure I would

Which farm shop is this please? I'd be interested, thanks!

Bridge Farm shop, it's just off Carterknowle Road by the Cherry Tree pub.

I've not eaten cheap chicken in ages, I don't care how poor I am, I'd rather eat something else and not eat chicken if I can't afford free range (or at least RSPCA approved) chicken.