Indian groceries shop in Sheffield

I know but they sell everything I want to buy under one roof so what can I do? I'm particular about brands too: only Kohinoor basmati will do (if Tesco hadn't started supplying it I would still be getting it from parents) and chappati flour is freshly milled stuff that comes from a small shop in Kingsbury.

Does Shah's also have a halal meat section? The reason I ask is because I avoid such shops as the smell makes me puke. If they don't, I might actually start going.

Shah's don't sell meat, just dry goods and veg!

get yourself up here to sharrow/london rd - munir's on southview rd is legendary and if you're lucky, you'll be served by yasmin who is either the friendliest or the most hostile shopkeeper in the world depending on what mood she's in - there are also loads of halal butchers selling good fresh meat and chicken without resort to polystyrene or clingfilm usually on the day of slaughter.

The op is looking for a Indian supermarket though, so not too likely to care about halal? Many Indian people are vegetarian anyway...

I know but they sell everything I want to buy under one roof so what can I do? I'm particular about brands too: only Kohinoor basmati will do (if Tesco hadn't started supplying it I would still be getting it from parents) and chappati flour is freshly milled stuff that comes from a small shop in Kingsbury.

Does Shah's also have a halal meat section? The reason I ask is because I avoid such shops as the smell makes me puke. If they don't, I might actually start going.

is it only halal meat which makes you puke or is it all meat? or perhaps your a veggie?

try Alyan sweet centre on Abbeydale Rd for your mitahi, snacks, savouries, chaar etc pani puri too

nom nom nom Love Alyans :)

There is a little South Indian shop Abbeydale Road, next to Mama Mia's restaurant and 2 or 3 doors down from Bragazzi's...does all sorts of Indian stuff, including frozen stuff..ready meals even! They do sell meat at the back tho so this might put the OP off...

The op is looking for a Indian supermarket though, so not too likely to care about halal? Many Indian people are vegetarian anyway...

they don't have to buy the good fresh meat if they don't want to

Hi,

I suggest Smethwick High st near West Bromwich.

There isn't as large an 'Indian' (I use that term in culinary terms as I know that can cover so many regions so please don't flame me for it) community here in Sheffield as there are in other areas of the UK unfortunately.

There are many nationalities serving delicious food around Sheffield but not an 'Indian, cheap, supermarket' that I know of. However I'm going to check Shah's.

Ozzmans (sp) on London Rd has lots of spices, fresh veg, breads etc and is reasonable price-wise but is Halal.

If anyone likes cooking chinese food there's a good supermarket behind some shops at the start of London rd. The side rd next to sainsbury's has a hidden chinese supermarket.

I hope you enjoy your food friends.

You do realise the last activity on the thread was 4 years ago and the question was asked back in 2008?

that would be "Shahs", directly beside the Picture-palace.

I would have recommended Shah's till my trip there last week in search of a 1 kg tub of the wonderful "Ahmed's Mixed Pickle in Oil". It was always a good shop with the best stock, and 'whitey-friendly' with Mr Shah being quite sociable. He's been there ever since I've been in Sheffield, which is coming up to 40 years now.

But this time all the pickles were past their expiry date by quite some time. A 1 kg tub of pickle will last me more than a year so it actually matters.

I asked the old woman on the till (Mrs Shah?) and she just shrugged and said most people don't mind!

So I went up the road to the place that used to be a Spar supermarket and found a good stock of in-date pickle :thumbsup:

Edited by Nagel

Yes, that should be 'Sheffield Super Store', they're pretty well stocked. Just be really careful about the expiry dates. They've a LOT of expired stuff on their shelves.

They also seem to sell the expired stuff outside really cheaply. I thought it was illegal to sell expired stuff ?