Les and Betty Vickers

Does anyone know what happened to the above who owned Fiveways at Owler Bar, Turnupps at Nether Edge and Stoke Hall in Derbyshire in the 70s?

I used to work behind the bar for them when I was a student and they were always very nice to me.

I once met Les Father Henry who told me that he made money exporting Mackeson stout to Italy after the war also he was the first man to be breathalysed in the UK when the drink drive laws came out. Dont know if its true but he was quite a character.

Hello I used to know the vickers well, Les brother Barry and his wife christine we all used to go out together, remember the nights at stoke hall in for 11pm out next morning 6am

Not sure where Les and Betty are old Henry died and not sure what happened to the mother when they all moved from meadowhead

Betty had a sister Cindy who also worked at Fiveways.

old mrs Vickers passed away some years ago

Les and Betty lived at cockshutt farm off abbey lane and later went bust the last i heard they were running a club in Doncaster

Cindy married he long term BF

hi ron, what does long term bf mean?

ron sorry, penny has dropped. I think the alzheimers has started!

I was behind the bar one night when Les came in and removed the emergency lights, apparently they hadnt paid the bill for them at Stoke Hall and an engineer had gone in and removed them from there. We worked without any emergncy lighting for weeks!

Also it was that red hot summer of 76 when I worked there and the champagne was red hot in the little room behind the bar as it got hotter the bottles started exploding, what a place!

Oh my, les and betty, worked for them for ages, first at 5ways, stoke hall, when Barry AND christine lived there,do you remember old Henry who worked and lived there,he was a general help,my daughter and i used to go down and help out at weekends, I lived in at 5ways. Henry taught my 10yr old daughter all 40 verses of Eskimo Nell and Kiplings "theres a little yellow idol to the north of Katmandu".Iremember one weekend we had a Butchers meeting and party, it turned into a massive punchup,there were women swinging from chadeliers, Betty and me trying to pull them down,we catered for wedings also which sometimes turned out the same. I worked for them for almost 30yrs loved them all, cindy was a special pal my daughter used to stay with her and Ray many times

must mention one hilarious, occasion, Betty,Cindy,christine, myself and all our kids went to Bakewell market we bought a donkey that the kids had fallen for,we had gone there in Les and Betty's Rolls, it being the only transport we had, we all piled in,adults,5 kids,donkey and all, the donkey was sick all over but we eventualy made it back to Stoke Hall.We could not stop laughing at what we'd done ,later the whole incident was written up in the Star

O yes I remember it so well

do you remember the dj stuart burnham and litttle sexy sue

I was wondering if you still like (champagne)

It was good times

Sue Burnham and I worked at Fiveways in the summer of 76, Mick Lee re opened the place after a fire. He was working for Les and Betty, In november that year Mick moved to the Mulberry Tavern and re opened that and Sue, Steve Cheetham a girl called Judith and me went with him. Sue and Judith were strikingly pretty, Mick used to say that they wer worth a barrel each a week in takings. Mick is still around but not in the trade anymore, what I would love to know is what happened to Les and betty Vickers?

and

O yes I remember it so well

do you remember the dj stuart burnham and litttle sexy sue

I was wondering if you still like (champagne)

It was good times