What's happened to Sheffield's nightlife? - it's pants

After just reading the excellent 'Last Night a DJ Saved My Life' - it's quite evident that the UK's club scene has suffered the same downward spiral.

Basically, we have been ahead of the game for a long time and the rest of the world is still catching up.

The book also incinuates how the government noticed the tax revenue's being lost through drug comsumption and to combat this, issued late licenses to bars en-mass to get people drinking again.

The crappy sub-genre's of 'dance music' didn't help the whole scene but that's another argument.

Hello to you all.Im some what of a veteran when it comes to going down town.Ive been doing it since the late 70s early 80s.Ive just turned 50 and still enjoy a night out in Sheffield.Over the years the route ive taken on various pub crawls has changed with the times.Ive also been to other towns and cities and i have to say,they are very much the same where ever you go apart from the accents.

As an 80s boy,you can guess the bars and pubs i frequent.Leopold Sq has a mixed age group and its lovely in the summer months.The Bessemer,also has a mixed age group.And to cap a good night off,Maggie Mays seems to cater for the over 35s,with music from the 70s and 80s.

The only problem is the taxi home can be expensive and the bloody hangover the next morning.Even at my age,i never quite got the hang of managing the hangover the next morning.

I'm sorry to say it but you really are an old fart and need to realise times have changed and moved on, did you expect Sheffield to just be the same as it was in 1990?

You could have tried any number quality, new and diverse venues but you probably aren't aware of them......

DQ, Great Gatsby, Soyo, Bar 23, Paris, Plug, Viper Rooms, Beg Borrow and Steal and Bungalows and Bears to name but a few.....

All of these venues providing a diverse range of quality products for all different tastes....

As for you comment about silly hair cuts and moisturiser, that really does make you sound like my Grandad. I'm 31 and bald by the way so I haven't taken this personally if thats what you think but fashion has changed too.....

Did you expect everyone to be dressed sports casual in a T-shirt, Jeans and trainers with died blond curtained hair?

Hello Discodwarf.That wasnt me who made those comments about bad hair and moisturiser.My comment was what i did about when i was clubbing in the 80s.I also liked clubbing in the 90s and saw how fashion and culture change.Some of the haircuts and fashion were just as good or bad in the 80s.I still go into town now.And again ive seen how fashion and culture has changed.Cant say i like young lads wearing their trousers halfway down their arses though.I think the bottom part of town,from Leopold street right upto Cambridge street are of a more mixed age group.Alot of the guys and girls are round about my age who also started their clubbing in the early 80s.I wouldnt say we are old farts.But what i will say is that town used to be a vibrant place and this is something we all remember.Its just great that our age group can still do things like this,instead of sitting in our rocking chairs with a mug of Horlicks.When i hear youngsters going on about what they got upto at the weekend down town.It makes me smile,because its as though ive stepped back in time.Do you know why?Because we were doing all that 30 years ago and ive got the memory and scars to show for it.And id like to do it all again.Went to Benidorm in November,but thats another story lol

I can safetly say Sheffield Night Scene is still thriving, it just depends what your into.

Rock bars in sheffield are pretty awesome. I mean how many other cities do you know of with 6 good rock bars all in close range of each other! God bless sheffield.

The routine is: Dove and Rainbow then Nelson then West street and then onto casbah or corp to really get the party started. I prefer casbah myself but some people like the sticky shoe nightmare that is corp. haha.

Hi Hollypop.West street live and Casbah are very good for rock bars.I remember the 'Wap'.Talk about needing new shoes or paying another visit to the cobblers for new soles and heels.I think Newcy brown was mainly drunk in there.

We did actually go to forum, got to say a night out at the Local Morgue would have been more lively.

The music, what the ???? We were told Forum was lively, when we got in.......everyone was stood around like dummys, so we went to the place accross the road from Frog and Parrot (which has to be said has still kept its standards) to a new bar, that looks like a poncy poncy bar (the newly refurbished one accross the road from Frog and Parrot).

Common Room - whats the point in that bar?

Are the lads in competetion with each other, as to who can wear the most moisteriser? and the haircuts ????? what happened to number 2 all over???? these lads look like they just come out of Toni & Guy ?????? I thought it was the girls job to look like a girl

Jesus Christ - I'm only 15 years or so older than some of these 18 year olds, but I can't idenifty with them at all - thank god I did my clubbing in the early 90s.

Whistle possee - where are you? Occasions (remember being crampped like a sardine in there? ) and Palais - Asterix & Space, Hardcore FM.

Roxys & Cairos for the partys

Leadmill for early Techno and the Indie stuff (Madchester - who remembers that????? )

Rebels - :D

And not forgetting the token non descript club KI-KIs

Memorys memorys, was nice for a get together with old friends.

I think you're complaining more about the lads about these days than the clubs. Yates hasn't shut down, it's now RSVP...and that's the only change.

Perhaps the 'number 2 all over'' went down the toilet when the people who 'don' it are generally known or seen as chavs. Next time you're in the pants night life, have a look at the lads who have shaved heads, a lot of them don't look that fun to be honest.

Ofcourse the music has changed, it's completely different from what you had when you was our age, and I'm sure I'll be echoing your words in 18 years time.

Might I suggest Leadmill on a Saturday night? they have an Indie/Motown/Ska night on, which is always pretty decent. Casbah is widely know as the alternative club, a long with Corporation. West Street on a Saturday night, I found, is full of more mature people...probably because it's the only time in the week they have a free night, where as I go out mostly in the week with other students.

Hi Tommo06.Ive been 'clubbing' since the late 70s early 80s.Ive seen all the fashion and music trends come and go.Punk,New Romantics,New wave,Mods,Skinheads and Rockers.At the end of the day,life and times have changed.Id love to go back to the 80s,and youd love to go back to the early 90s.But we cant,they havent invented the time machine yet,so we have to deal with it.Imagine yourself at 50 years of age and suddenly surrounded by a load of students on 'Freshers Week'.Well that happened to me.I could have walked out of the pub,but instead decided to stay,and i had a great time and laugh with them all until i was knackered and my Horlicks and bed were calling.I was very much like you,but in order to go out,i had to accept all these changes.If i didnt,i wouldnt be going out and having a laugh.Id be in my cardigan and rocking chair.

******** to that.I want a laugh and a life.

I used to be out every weekend until I left Sheffield over 10 years ago and had been doing so since 1989 and loved every minuet of it and there was an overwhelming choice of pubs and night clubs and if you had pint in every one it would take you for ever and you would probably be dead at the end lol.

Wow......how old is original thread.

Ironically. The nightlife has got worse.