Is Hillsborough College bad for your health?

No, I don't work in a management role. I'm a term-time paid worker. I'm a member of Unison too and act as the TU liaison at Hillsborough, as we don't have full-time Union rep there. I presume then you must have spoken to a UCU rep, as no-one from Unison has spoken to any of us about this and I'm damned sure our rep wouldn't leave us out in the cold on this one. I'm really serious about this. If there's a problem we need to know. I would be extremely concerned if we were at risk daily from any environmental factors and we were being kept in the dark about it. I don't think it's fair for you to post scare stories on this Forum and then say it should all be kept quiet for fear of reprisals. If there's something wrong with the site, come out in the open and say so, so we can tackle this together.

I don't think I've said that this should be kept quiet. All I've been told is that there is no concrete evidence that power pylons cause illness and that until there is concrete evidence that it does then nobody can do anything.

The only thing I can do is suggest you research the evidence for yourself starting off with this link,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/apr/28/health.science

then as a worker at the college, decide for yourself if you wish to raise it with your union or take your concerns to the management.

Only you can decide that for yourself.

Sick building syndrome?

OR generous occupational sick pay scheme?

OR generous occupational sick pay scheme?

Yeah but the students don't get that do they? :huh: In fact they get penalised by a loss of their EMA if they don't attend regularly.

All this is based on an assumption that there is a greater than average sickness at Hillsborough College than in comparable FE Colleges. No research has been done, no statistics studied and no evidence whatsoever put forward. Having a wild guess that staff and students might be affected by pylons nearby is really no basis for a serious discussion and does no favours to staff and students either.

why would it be bad iam there and its better than castle college

I've been working at Hillsborough College for some time now (I'd rather not say how long in case somebody manages to work out who I am) and I am concerned about the amount of staff, and in some cases students, that seem to be getting ill and having quite lengthy amounts of time off work and the generally depressive and claustrophobic atmosphere that seems to engulf the college.

Both I, and a number of other members of staff, have been doing some research on the environment that the college is sited in and it seems like the problem may be down to the power pylons and electricity sub station that are approximately 50 yards from the college.

This link gives some info on health problems believed to be associated with spending too much time near to overhead power lines and sub stations.

So my question is; if there is even the slightest suggestion that there may be some health problems in being so close to these high voltage sources then why was this college allowed to be built there, bearing in mind that there are hundreds of vulnerable and still developing children studying there for a number of years.:rant:

This seems to be a ticking time bomb just waiting to explode!

I remember before the college was built there was a lot of concern about the inapproprateness of the site due to its proximity to landfill ,pylons etc but this was dismissed as scaremongering.

I remember before the college was built there was a lot of concern about the inapproprateness of the site due to its proximity to landfill ,pylons etc but this was dismissed as scaremongering.

I've just been looking at the link that the OP provided and looked at a few other sites to try and get a balanced view about the issue of the effects that powerful electro magnetic forces (EMF's) have on the human body as I have a couple of relatives who are thinking about going to Hillsborough College in September.

Although there doesn't seem to be any concrete evidence at the moment, there does seem to be a high probability that these extreme forces do have a negative effect on the human body and mind.

If it's correct that the college is only about 50 yards from the pylons and sub station then I will definately be advising my relatives to attend a different college in September.

There used to be a tunnel that led from the bottom of Shirecliffe tip under the railway to the opposite side of the Don from the college, it came out in a small brickbuilt shelter a bit above the old power station towards Coopers scrapyard , a possible source of pollution.

This is nothing to do with Hillsborough college, but I work in Rotherham, and the bedroom I sleep in there, is no more than 50 feet from a pylon.

In the last 2 or 3 years, I have developed migraine, but only get it whilst I am at work - never anywhere else. I have absolutely no proof that the pylon is to blame, but I strongly suspect that it is.

We don't have a high incidence of illness in the building. I wonder if it is a case of people reacting to the electricity in different ways, and I just have a low tolerance to it's effects?

Eep, I'm hopefully applying to go to Hillsborough in September. To be fair, I think there needs to be more evidence in regards to whether there is actually a higher than average sickness rate at the college. I went to Longley Park 6th Form for a while, and everyone always seemed to be ill there too, so I think someone should look into it further before saying anything!

I think that it would be wrong to go around saying these things without PROPER backup, as it may discourage students and prospective staff from going there.

I think that it would be wrong to go around saying these things without PROPER backup, as it may discourage students and prospective staff from going there.
Absolutely right, Kaizabella. The amount of technical investigation which went into the site before planning permission for the College was granted was considerable and thorough. As these things have to be, by law. This isn't the first time someone with a beef about Hillsborough College has posted this sort of thing or written to the media and I'm sure it won't be the last. Those of us who work at the College know what went into the planning and design and what investigations were made prior to the build. Attempting to warn parents and prospective students off the College with no evidence whatsoever begs the question of the OP's motive. The statements made don't ring true, especially about "having a quiet word with" a trade union rep at Hillsborough who doesn't even exist!

Hillsborough College is a great place to work and study. Ask any of us who actually work or study there.

All this is based on an assumption that there is a greater than average sickness at Hillsborough College than in comparable FE Colleges. No research has been done, no statistics studied and no evidence whatsoever put forward. Having a wild guess that staff and students might be affected by pylons nearby is really no basis for a serious discussion and does no favours to staff and students either.

So what do you suggest? That we ignore the growing evidence as highlighted in this link;

Is ignoring this very real problem doing staff and students a favour? How many staff and students have to get ill before you do take any notice?

As for stating that no research has been done, have you actually clicked on the link or do you do a good impression of an Ostrich and stick your head in the sand and hope that it will all go away?:loopy:

I've attempted to access the sickness figures for the college and the rep that I talked to has said they would be virtually impossible to access but that it wouldn't surprise him if there was a management cover up.

Obviously, without some independently clarified figures, nothing can be proved but the fact of the matter is that the independent report highlighted in the Guardian strongly recommends to the government that it shouldn't allow development within 60 metres of pylons.

Don't take my word for it. Simply go outside the college and see for yourself how far the power lines and sub station are away from the college.