Is Hillsborough College bad for your health?

I've been working at Hillsborough College for some time now (I'd rather not say how long in case somebody manages to work out who I am) and I am concerned about the amount of staff, and in some cases students, that seem to be getting ill and having quite lengthy amounts of time off work and the generally depressive and claustrophobic atmosphere that seems to engulf the college.

Both I, and a number of other members of staff, have been doing some research on the environment that the college is sited in and it seems like the problem may be down to the power pylons and electricity sub station that are approximately 50 yards from the college.

This link gives some info on health problems believed to be associated with spending too much time near to overhead power lines and sub stations.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/apr/28/health.science

So my question is; if there is even the slightest suggestion that there may be some health problems in being so close to these high voltage sources then why was this college allowed to be built there, bearing in mind that there are hundreds of vulnerable and still developing children studying there for a number of years.:rant:

This seems to be a ticking time bomb just waiting to explode!

Are you close to the toxic landfill site at Parkwood? That's been giving the residents up there grief for years.

If you like, I'll dig out some links.

Are you close to the toxic landfill site at Parkwood? That's been giving the residents up there grief for years.

If you like, I'll dig out some links.

Cheers.

Yes. The college is about a couple of hundred yards from the landfill site but is upwards of the prevailing wind which normally comes from the west. However if the wind turns and comes from the east then there is a noticeable stench although sometimes I wonder if it's pollution in the river or the left over dregs of last years flood ingrained in the college structure.

i worked at the warehouse it replaced and can honestly say while it was a depressing place to work at times none of the staff were ever off with problems caused by the surrounding areas well apart from the local pub but thats a diffrent story

Both I, and a number of other members of staff, have been doing some research on the environment that the college is sited in

If you're doing this, why haven't you let the rest of the staff know? And if this is such a big issue, please let us know when and how you approached the trade unions, who, as you know, have a Health and Safety brief for staff members. If your research is genuine and based on scientific evidence, we'd appreciate it. If it's scaremongering, then you do us and the students a great disservice. Please come clean and tell us exactly what you're doing and why, so we can work with you in a sensible and co-operative way.

Here's the sort of stuff they are (or were) dumping at Shirecliffe a few years ago:

http://www.burngreavemessenger.org.uk/messenger/february2002/dumped.shtml

This could be a problem and it may be that there are a combination of factors at work here.

I would like to know what ailments are affecting the people that are off ill at the moment and what rates of sickness the college has compared to other colleges.

This could be a problem and it may be that there are a combination of factors at work here.

I would like to know what ailments are affecting the people that are off ill at the moment and what rates of sickness the college has compared to other colleges.

But why? Why should it be a problem? If you have a genuine belief that illnesses in College are caused by the site and if you have enough evidence to support this belief, you really do need to come clean to the College staff. Keeping this to yourself and working in a hole and corner way makes me think that you don't have the welfare of staff and students at heart. If you want the comparative rates of sickness, contact the LSC, who will have all the stats you need. Why won't you involve the trade unions, who would be only too please to tackle a genuine concern.

If you're doing this, why haven't you let the rest of the staff know? And if this is such a big issue, please let us know when and how you approached the trade unions, who, as you know, have a Health and Safety brief for staff members. If your research is genuine and based on scientific evidence, we'd appreciate it. If it's scaremongering, then you do us and the students a great disservice. Please come clean and tell us exactly what you're doing and why, so we can work with you in a sensible and co-operative way.

Hi Rosyrat,

I assume you work at the college, possibly in a management role?

If so then you will be aware of the sensitivity that the management of the college has on this issue.

I, and one or two of my trusted colleagues, are well aware of the environmental tests/research done before the college was built and that the all clear was given for the go ahead to build the college on that site. Of course the problem is that, as human beings, we don't know everything and with new research and advice coming to light as in this link,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/apr/28/health.science,

then, as I said previously, this seems to be a ticking timebomb waiting to explode.

As for contacting the trade unions, I've had a quiet word with the rep at Hillsborough and he's advised me to keep quiet about it for until there is substantial evidence (and how many people have to get ill before that happens I don't know) that proves there is a problem then the union and Health and Safety Executive (which I've also contacted) can't do anything about it.

These are genuine concerns that I feel the public should be told about so they can make an informed decision about the possible risks they may be putting themselves or their children in when sending them to Hillsborough College and whether those risks are worth taking, so I feel it's the management of the college doing it's staff and students a diservice by not informing them that, even though the chance may be small, you could possibly be putting your health at risk by studying or working there.

Hi Rosyrat,

I assume you work at the college, possibly in a management role? As for contacting the trade unions, I've had a quiet word with the rep at Hillsborough and he's advised me to keep quiet about it for until there is substantial evidence

No, I don't work in a management role. I'm a term-time paid worker. I'm a member of Unison too and act as the TU liaison at Hillsborough, as we don't have full-time Union rep there. I presume then you must have spoken to a UCU rep, as no-one from Unison has spoken to any of us about this and I'm damned sure our rep wouldn't leave us out in the cold on this one. I'm really serious about this. If there's a problem we need to know. I would be extremely concerned if we were at risk daily from any environmental factors and we were being kept in the dark about it. I don't think it's fair for you to post scare stories on this Forum and then say it should all be kept quiet for fear of reprisals. If there's something wrong with the site, come out in the open and say so, so we can tackle this together.