Sign in to follow this  

Whats the problem with city living?

Granted some of the flats are eyesores and some of the people who live in them definately think they are too cool for school, but i live in the city, i can walk to work and go home at lunch, i don't own a car cause i don't need one, i don't live in a big development or a flashy flat but i like it, im close to everything, the flats ARE expensive but they ARE convenient, its a trade off.

People always slag if off but look at west one for example, what was there before.... a car park, what would be there instead of flats.....nothing. Money drives everything and even though its a huge development, it can't be denied that the shops/returants/bars under it have contributed to sheffield' s nightlife.

Im not claiming its the answer to sheffield problems, but i do think that it is more positve than negative.

Just wanted to know what people think, he he, got a feeling i could be slated. Great fun.

A quote taken from http://www.rocknroll.force9.co.uk/pubs/limit.htm, which made me laugh. Not sure I totally agree with it's bleak outlook on the subject, but still made me chuckle:

And finally, sadly in 2002 is a new block of city living apartments for wealthy students / young professionals, with the usual vacant retail units on the ground floor, destined to be a coffee franchise outlet or other such irrelevent rubbish in a couple of years, only to go bust after 12 months and become yet another giant Oxfam shop, because no legitimate buisiness could afford to pay the stupidly high lease fees.

My worry is that all the city living constructions sprouting up over the city are the new-millenium's version of Kelvin flats.

It may be cutting edge cool at the minute, but a lot of these buildings could date very quickly, then Sheffield is again full of outdated ugly buildings that need tearing down because obody want to live in them.

i live in the city centre aswell,brilliant innit!

it may not be quite and there are alot of people and students etc,but like fonz said,you can walk to work and go home at lunch

and its a two minute stagger home from most clubs

Problem with City Living? You need to be a Lottery winner to afford it for a start.

£250,000 for a Flat in West One, WTF?!

The unit under the development at the bottom of West Street is still empty, the unit under the development on Ecclessal road is still empty, and one of the units next to Nandos is still empty AFAIK, so they arn't realy adding anything to the night life of the area (which was busy in that area before they were built anyway).

Originally posted by nick2

The unit under the development at the bottom of West Street is still empty, the unit under the development on Ecclessal road is still empty, and one of the units next to Nandos is still empty AFAIK, so they arn't realy adding anything to the night life of the area (which was busy in that area before they were built anyway).

Would be nice to see something other than pubs and restaurants in those units, but I'm guessing that the rents will be so high that they will prohibit any non-chain businesses from moving in. I imagine that Starbucks franchise will eventually rent one of the lots.

nick2 you are right they are empty but what was there before?.....

surely you cant deny its an improvement, and surely any addition to the choice is a good thing.

I agree that there are lot of empty places but there are empty places on division street/west street so city living can hardly be blamed. I used to live in the Westpoint flats and the only reason that unit is empty is because the residents on the front complained, these are the same people who complained about the tram and no car parking spaces, they seem to completely miss the point of city living.

Rich, you are right they are stupidly expensive but thats the top of the range flats for people with more money than sense, there are plenty of flats for a lot less than that.

Jackthedog, you are right aswell, but there have also been some good conversions of buildings which would have otherwise been knocked down.

Originally posted by the fonz

nick2 you are right they are empty but what was there before?.....

surely you cant deny its an improvement, and surely any addition to the choice is a good thing.

there was nothing there before (except where West One is, where there was a pub and some shops) , and there is nothing there now, so no extra choices, I fail to see the improvement, it's not like the buildings are nice to look at.

Originally posted by the fonz

i can walk to work and go home at lunch, i don't own a car cause i don't need one

Well I do, because I occasionally like to venture out of Sheffield. So I'd say parking would be my main problem.