Around Lady Bower

Hi,

I would like to do a walk this Saturday, but I'm not sure yet:

It should start near Endcliffe Park again - along Porter Brook - Redmires Reservoir - cross Stanage Edge - down Upper Hurst Brook til I reach the Derwent Valley Heritage Walk - leave it near Win Hill - over Win Hill and along Lady Bower Reservoir - Alport Farm - around the northern part of the reservoir and along the way near to it - over Bamford House to Lady Bower Pub and then back about Rivelin Reservoir and somehow to Endcliffe park again.

I calculated 55km (I'm not sure about this) and approx. 1500 difference in altitude at all (not sure either).

I'm not sure about the walk, because of the weather and another walk on Monday, but if I commence, it will be approx. 4am. I planed 13-14h.

So if someone wants to join me, don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Bob

Hi,

I would like to do a walk this Saturday, but I'm not sure yet:

It should start near Endcliffe Park again - along Porter Brook - Redmires Reservoir - cross Stanage Edge - down Upper Hurst Brook til I reach the Derwent Valley Heritage Walk - leave it near Win Hill - over Win Hill and along Lady Bower Reservoir - Alport Farm - around the northern part of the reservoir and along the way near to it - over Bamford House to Lady Bower Pub and then back about Rivelin Reservoir and somehow to Endcliffe park again.

I calculated 55km (I'm not sure about this) and approx. 1500 difference in altitude at all (not sure either).

I'm not sure about the walk, because of the weather and another walk on Monday, but if I commence, it will be approx. 4am. I planed 13-14h.

So if someone wants to join me, don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Bob

Like most others attached to the walking group. I go to enjoy a walk these days not re-enact the route marches that I use to do in my army days.

If you look at your map, you will notice that you walk along the side of Win Hill, Not over it, to Alport Dale then up to the farm etc.

At the most northern point of the dams a bridge exist. Would you be kind enough to let me know what is written on the plaque that is attached to the bridge.

Thank you. ( I believe it is called the John Derry Memorial Bridge ).

Hi,

I'm not sure, if I want to go over the top of Win Hill or around it on the bottom. Maybe I will leave the DVH Way at Parkin Clough to go onto the top and then along Hope Brink to Roman Road...

A bridge? Is this bridge near Slippery Stones (this is the most northern point of the reservoirs on my map)?

Oh dear, what a shame, I'm already tied up this weekend doing the 3 Yorkshire Peaks, otherwise I might have considered it. :suspect:

Good luck, and I hope you have decent weather.

Best of luck BobO, I'm afraid I'm not quite up to 55km yet!

Hi,

I'm not sure, if I want to go over the top of Win Hill or around it on the bottom. Maybe I will leave the DVH Way at Parkin Clough to go onto the top and then along Hope Brink to Roman Road...

A bridge? Is this bridge near Slippery Stones (this is the most northern point of the reservoirs on my map)?

You have identified the correct bridge. - Thanks.

sounds like a good walk and i'd be up for it if it was a bit later, and...what about food and drink?...are you taking enough for the day or are there pub/cafe's on route for pleasant stop offs?

I took all stuff I needed on my last longer walk (The "Sheffield Country Walk" thread in this forum...) with me. I'm sure, I will do it this time in the same way. But there should be some Pubs around (of course Lady Bower Pub). But on my last walk, I did only a few short stops.

I want to start so early because of the distance. If one walks for 15h, one should start at least at 5am, I don't like to walk in the dark after 50km... I did this and it is absolutely no fun...

cheers for the prompt reply Bob, i'm afraid I'm bailing out. Too early, maybe another time when the nights are longer, sounds like a great walk thogh, have fun!

The nights longer? I will leave England in June... When would you like to start? 3 weeks ago I started 5:23am and was quite happy to be back at 4pm, for I could relax and had a nice evening...

To do that walk these days BobO. I'll start on the Monday night and you can catch me up the following Sunday evening.

pardon me? I do not understand the meaning of your words. I will start this Saturday, depending on "spam's" statement and the weather, but if the weather is like today, I would be grateful. I had a really good Men's Day today (we celebrate this day a bit different ;))