Bramall Lane closed 22nd April

we live a stones throw away from the ground and have not heard anything??? eeeek

I live nearer than that! Just behind the Cannes Shop off Cherry Street (other side of Shoreham st). I didn't hear any bang and haven't been evacuated or notified about anything even though I have read about a 200 metre cordon with residents/workers being evactuated :suspect:

First I knew anything had happened was when I walked round the corner onto Cherry St and saw loads of builders, coppers, fire engines and other people all stood around! :hihi:

look on the BBC new web site for the local area they have it on there. something to do with a gas cylinder.

Oh ok, lets have a discussion about that then, thanks for your help. :loopy:

I work for a company that makes cylinders and if the pressure inside the cylinder exceeds the SWP it will explode what ever is inside it, if it does you do not want to be near it.

Small cylinders that are tested to destruction are tested under controlled conditions, large cylinders are taken off site and tested in a Quarry, a typical BOC cylinder could have a SWP of 3000PSI (a car tyre is probably about 30psi) it would probably fail at twice that, that is one big bang if it went off.

Even if it were spelt correctly there is no such thing as an oxy acetylene cylinder, it is either oxygen or actylene.

Really, what's actylene then :roll:

Really, what's actylene then :roll:
:hihi::hihi::hihi: oops, that always happens.

Sorry but I would be more worried about the oxygen ignighting. Not sure if you guys know but pure oxygen is one of the most volatile and most explosive gasses.

Sorry but I would be more worried about the oxygen ignighting. Not sure if you guys know but pure oxygen is one of the most volatile and most explosive gasses.

No it isn't, it acts as an accelerant and makes other flammable items burn better but it isn't flammable on it's own. Cylinder would go with big bang due to the pressure.

so anyone got any clue if u can actually get back into anchor point tonight around 6pm?!

so anyone got any clue if u can actually get back into anchor point tonight around 6pm?!

Roads still closed but you could try to get there from the James cycles end. TBH unless they open the road I dont think you will be allowed. Ive got friends who live in the flats and they cant get near them at the moment. Even tried sneaking in the back way.

It might be back to normal in a few hours.

So nothing is going to explode then? Are they just keeping the cylinders cool for now?

Cylinder would go with big bang due to the pressure.

That’s the point, it could do enough damage on its own, if thousands of pounds of pressure was to blow a inflammable gas across huge areas it doest take much imagination to visualise the out come.

That’s the point, it could do enough damage on its own, if thousands of pounds of pressure was to blow a inflammable gas across huge areas it doest take much imagination to visualise the out come.
Yep. I've seen a building where an oxygen cylinder went through the wall from inside like a torpedo, just left a hole about 18" diameter.