Sign in to follow this  

The West Street crane is taking a battering!

Right. I'm not entirely sure if i'm being over-cautious here but here it goes.

I live in West One, and for the last two hours or so i've heard an alarm going off randomly. The girlfriend and I just looked out the window and the huge white crane on the building site on West St has got a yellow light spinning on it.

When the wind picks up the whole crane spins around/shakes/wobbles/generally looks unsafe and a red siren lights up and an alarm sounds.

It's starting to look quite dangerous.

Do we call the police/someone? Surely it's not supposed to spin like that, it's come all the way out over West St!

I've had a google for the name emblazoned on the side of the crane and it's got a daytime no. only.

If it was just an alarm then that could be loads of things but if you can see the crane actually moving drastically then of course contact the police. I'm sure they're not going to be upset with you and it may be something that needs looking into quite rapidly.

I would call the police, and they will get a safety officer on the site - maybe from the council...

best to be safe! its very windy 2nite!

Phone them, I think the alarm is there to warn the worker that it is unsafe to work in those conditions green, yellow + red ect.

They are built to with stand these conditions and it is not as windy as it was a couple fo weeks ago.

i'm sure a call to the police on the none emergency line is the least you should try if worried... tel 2202020.

they could get out the fire brigade to take a look or find out who is in charge of the crane. :)

Ahhh so it's not just a car alarm I'm hearing?! I'm in your area, and hearing the same thing.

Hey there - just registered.....I can see it from my window (Camera 2 at http://www.sheffieldcam.co.uk/) - I agree its moving a lot, but I think I'd be more worried if the top wasn't spinning around!! Just hope they put in good foundations...the alarm is very annoying....luckily I just got in, although the alarm is irritating me already...snake pass was covered in debris....time to try and sleep

You apartment dwellers.

I enjoyed a restless sleep last night listening to my roof tiles coming off :(

Waiting for builder to come this afternoon (please dont rain).

Originally posted by DaBouncer

You apartment dwellers.

I enjoyed a restless sleep last night listening to my roof tiles coming off :(

Waiting for builder to come this afternoon (please dont rain).

Sorry DaB, but the forecast is for it to be wet...with more wind :confused:

Originally posted by owdlad

Sorry DaB, but the forecast is for it to be wet...with more wind :confused:

I knew god didn't like me!

Originally posted by DaBouncer

I knew god didn't like me!

It's not only God! :P

Thansk for the replies.

in the end, I got dressed and took a wander down. I bumped into some police down there and told them about it.

I stood underneath it for a couple of minutes and it was going a good 10-15ft either way during strong gusts :|

They tried to work in it this morning, and then quickly abandoned it.

Lets hope it fares better tonight. :)