Metal detecting in Sheffield area- megathread

TWIST

try and find out where the old rubbish dumps from the fifties are. We used to go and dig up some really nice old bottles and glassware that was rubbish in the fifties, but antique in the 80s... Maybe there could be a metal equivalent?

If you are serious about metal detecting join the Federation of Metal Detectorists. Dont do what Stevie1957 suggested about getting an entrenching tool thats tha kind of think that gets seriou dectorists a bad name. sensible digging on the spot where you get the signal not a digging a first world war trench just to dig up a horse shoe. With a FID membership you alsoget insurence.

Re Stevie1957s comments. You dont throw away ring pulls and bits of tin or lead, you take them away so that the next person on site (it may be you) will not be bothered by them. Stevie1957 sounds just like the kind of person serious detectorists dont want in the hobby

Seriously, a good place to make a start would be the top of Wincobank Hill, this was a Roman settlement, and when we were kids in the late 50,s, I remember many of us finding old coins etc by just grubbing around, with a metat detector the chance of finding any of these old Roman artifacts should be much greater, unless enthusiasts have already raided it.

You are right, Wincobank is a scheduled ancient monument, any disturbance of the ground is illegal. You must get permission from the landowner before detecting anywhere, and unless you have a written agreement, anything you find on a persons land technically belongs to them (unless it is nice and spectacular and classed as treasure - then it belongs to the crown)

You should take all your finds to a museum (when it is open) and let them make a note of them (what they are, how old they are) and the findspot (6 figure grid ref is very useful), they will then let you have the finds back unless you want to loan/sell them to the museum.

If you have all the proper permissions to detect and do not detect in illegal areas it should be a fun and rewarding hobby, but please be responsible and report all your finds as they are all archaelogically important!!!!!

Have fun

• 2 weeks later...

thanks peeps......thanks muddycoffee......gunna go and have a look in no frills....i tend to stay clear of that place though,cos i usually come out with more things than i need! lol

keep ur posts commin! anywhere else thats good to go lookin?

I am needing more advice!

This time about Metal Detecting.

Does anyone know where is a good place to go metal detecting in Sheffield (where you are allowed to go)???

Thankyou in advance.

Archived