Anyone go to the Gregg School in Broomhill 1952/1955?

Harleyman

Was there from 54 to 59. Other teachers remembered: Mr Humphreys, Mrs Humphreys, George Midgley (sports and p/e), Mrs Wostenholme, Maurice Barlow, Mr Fuchs, Mr Shanks. And who could forget Mrs Arnold with a hairstyle that looked to me like a well permed haystack? If memory serves it got into trouble with the Bank/Inland Revenue and Arnold had to leave. Messrs Sutherland and Rankin had a go at keeping it going, but it went under in the late 60s.

I too was there 54/59, must be same class but I transferred to commercial for the last 2 years. Were you in the same class as Christine Holland, Susan Mellor, April Anson, David White, Tony Kershaw, Roger Sherwood Malcolm Bowskill?

I attended Gregg from '59 to'63, and had a pretty miserable time there.

Starting in class 1' I was left to get on with it. The problem for me was that year one was halfway through, so when Rankin came to take us for Algebra

it seemed like a foreign language to me. And it was like that with other subjects, I was playing catch up.

Eventually I gave up on the Algebra, could never make head nor tail of it.

I can relate to the situation that Alan Ladd was in, this was my sixth school, also there were big problems at home.

I remember all the teachers that were there during my time there, I was

caned by Jock more than once, probably be locked up for it today.

I remember the names of some of the pupils mentioned too, I remember the day Joan Swinscoe was expelled, it all started because Jock didn't like how she was wearing her hat, so she took it off and threw it on the floor then called him some names. She never came back after that.

The last time I saw Arnold was in the Albert pub at the top of Cambridge Street, he had his usual Craven A and a drink, that was 1965.

My last day there could not come soon enough.

I never really understood the idea behind the place, did the kids who stayed the course do better than those of us who ended up in bog standard secondary moderns? Personally, and remember my memories are colored by strange happenings at home, I was so happy to leave the place, it seemed so false. I understand it eventually went bust so maybe it was a con?

I too was there 54/59, must be same class but I transferred to commercial for the last 2 years. Were you in the same class as Christine Holland, Susan Mellor, April Anson, David White, Tony Kershaw, Roger Sherwood Malcolm Bowskill?

Averil

I have sent you a personal message.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was there from 53 until 57, and my previous posts were some time ago, so it is good to see that there are still some of us around. I still go for a pint every month with my old pal Steve Rhodes,. and hear from Glynis Stannard too. Roger Sherwood I remember well, and Barry Bolton, and most of the people mention from that era. I also remember about 4 of us turning up one day and sitting front of class wearing those appalling fluorescent nylon socks that were the rage, vivid green, orange etc! Our lunch was usually chips from up the road and a fag down one of the back lanes up there. Good job ectasy etc wasn't heard of in those days!!!! Good to hear from PJT 69 although not sure who that is?

I see that people are still posting threads about The Gregg School its 55years since I went so some of us are still alive and kicking.Thanks for the message snowball72 hope you get mine.

Hi Peter, thanks for e mail. Will reply via e mail. Meanwhile hope you are in good health. Wish I could get in contact with some of the 'girls', any ideas how? A

• 1 month later...
I was there from 53 until 57, and my previous posts were some time ago, so it is good to see that there are still some of us around. I still go for a pint every month with my old pal Steve Rhodes,. and hear from Glynis Stannard too. Roger Sherwood I remember well, and Barry Bolton, and most of the people mention from that era. I also remember about 4 of us turning up one day and sitting front of class wearing those appalling fluorescent nylon socks that were the rage, vivid green, orange etc! Our lunch was usually chips from up the road and a fag down one of the back lanes up there. Good job ectasy etc wasn't heard of in those days!!!! Good to hear from PJT 69 although not sure who that is?

Hi Billhaley, Good to hear of some new quotes. I saw Steven Rhodes a few years ago at the driving range at Bradway. Recognised him immediately. I was in the same year as him, perhaps you too. I'm in contact with PJT (Pete Tory) and also a couple of others from my year. I remember the annual dance at Glossop Road Swimming Baths when Malcolm Bowskill and his dance partner gave a demonstration of ballroom dancing and he also played the cornet. No one has mentioned this but I don't think I have dreamt it.