Gleadless Valley named bad area in The Star

We endured 4 months of hell on Sands Close in 2006 and ended up leaving because of the harrassment we suffered from neighbours. This included writing graffiti on our door, threatening my wife and children, throwing stones at our cats, and climbing onto our balcony.

Apart from the harrassment aimed at us we suffered from sleepless nights caused by families sitting outside drinking and shouting 'til the early hours, and several families on our block allowing their children (some as young as 8 ) to play outside until after midnight.

zebra, yiou moved around a lot. you always like this about areas you live. seems you cant settle anywhere. GV is NOT THAT BAD.

an to insult EVERYONE OF YOUR NEIGHBOURS is downright disgusting. so EVERRYONE was bad neighbour. can not condone the scum that set fire to your fence etc and thy really do need stringing up for that. and can not imagine how bad that was for you but to slate everyone and say people who friends with scum are SAFE. Im not friends with any drug dealers, drug users, criminals, asbo youths, nuiscance neighbours and I feel safe and have had no trouble.

oh my god, zebra, everyone so very bad on the valley. agree with above post, you have moved around alot havent you.

I am also no friend to scum on the valley and I have no trouble either.

you out of order slating the good people of the valley, can not believe that every neighbour where you lived on the valley were bad. now remember neighbours are not just directly next door, they from the street where you live, the back and front of where you live and across the road where you live. generally you slating a good amount of good people there.

zebra, yiou moved around a lot. you always like this about areas you live. seems you cant settle anywhere. GV is NOT THAT BAD.

an to insult EVERYONE OF YOUR NEIGHBOURS is downright disgusting. so EVERRYONE was bad neighbour. can not condone the scum that set fire to your fence etc and thy really do need stringing up for that. and can not imagine how bad that was for you but to slate everyone and say people who friends with scum are SAFE. Im not friends with any drug dealers, drug users, criminals, asbo youths, nuiscance neighbours and I feel safe and have had no trouble.

lioness, a large proportion of my neighbours were bad, (see my post 92, earlier in this thread about what me and my ex hub had to put up with)

you are lucky, no, strike that:- "exceptionally fortunate", to not have had problems.

we had purgatory when we had all this going on next door to us. raids by the police all hours of the day and night. It was unbelieveable, that the council housed so many undesireables together, in one small block.

Zebra's experience was that it was hellish, my experience was that it was hellish, and the three decent families who lived either side of the scummers on the block we were on, also thought it hellish, too, as they were driven out by the ASB from these scummers.

Three families were stuck in that single block of 20 properties, because they'd bought their properties before the scummers moved in, and now had no hope of selling up and getting away...

four families simply driven out by the level of the AS behaviour,

a couple of elderly couples, just counting the days till they could be rehoused in sheltered housing, because they couldn't cope.

the ASB might have "only" been one fifth of the tenancies, but by gum they were 100% of the perpetrators of the trouble.

I am also no friend to scum on the valley and I have no trouble either.

You have no trouble? make your mind up!

I've never lived or spent any great deal of time there, but as an outsider your posts are making the place sound just lovely, and you're the one defending the place!

Maybe the place is really that bad - but it doesnt bother you?

I have never said there is no trouble. I have said thatI have never had any trouble, and so have a lot of other people.

and what zebra and plaintalker have been through it terrible beyond words. would never disagree with that.

There is trouble here. and maybe I am fortunate not to have had any but there are a large amount of people who have never had any trouble.

Iknow a family who live near mansfield road and at the moment they are going through hell there with gangs of youths causing so much trouble for them. , this kind of culture, unfortunately happening on nearly every area.

I am defending the valley cos it is just like any other estate, good and bad points. think lioness would agree with that. she has said much the same thing.

I think the fact that the valley has a few block of flats does not help. they really need to come down, also years ago there were pensioner flats, now they are let out to young people, but there are still some pensioners living there, underneath the younger ones and this causes mayhem. its a sad state of affairs when the youths can not show any respect for anyone. Gleadless Valley does have a lot of good people here and I just want to get that across, we not all criminals and scum. most of us here live a good life, have a great life and never expereince trouble here, does not mean it does not happen. i just dont think its as bad as potrayed in the star. it makes it sound like a right cesspit. its not. it is a glorious beautiful estate, with lots of greeenery and woods running the whole way along.

there are a few people that need getting rid of, putting them in their own filth to wallow would be a good idea. they spoil the estate. the decent people should not be tarred the same as them. there are more decent folk than there are troublemakers here. thats all. The valley no different from most of areas of sheffield.

Is important to us who love the area. Gleadless VALLEY is that A VALLEY. herdings not in it, neither is john o'gaunt. Gleadless Valley school was in bloody norton for gods sake so how that classed as the valley??????? it overlooked the valley was never in it. but yoiu are right in that there is no community anymore. I remember years ago when people getting married would have their do at the tenants hall on newfield green shops. was always a great night. no worries with it. shame its got bad bits in area now. great shame

Some of my family live near john o gaunt, its not really that bad like you say no worse than other areas really. but i always thought that John o gaunt was the Valley, you learn somat new every day.

maybe you should look at it from a different angle - just because there are some decent people living in an area, doesnt mean its a good area!

Coming from Glasgow originally, i've had friends that lived in some proper dodgy areas - my friends were good people, and there were many other people living in these areas that were good hard working , law abiding people - but the bad element dragged the whole place down and make it a s***hole.

These 'bad elements' did the same kind of things you've described as well as the more serious things others have mentioned - when this type of thing is going on, to any outsider the area that it goes on in can only be viewed as a 'bad' area. Yes other areas also have problems, though it doesnt make your area any better. Even though you say its not that bad, the descriptions you've given as well as those from others only serve to confirm the stats which say it is actually that bad - you're just used to it.

I think he reason this thread has gone on so long is because you and lioness etc feel you must defend the area and say its not so bad, rather than accept it does actually have the problems that make an area 'bad', and share your good experiences to let us know that its not all bad, and has some good points too.

sorry!!!! im not accepting it has problems, have I just not said that. I have not always said that. It IS a decent area. not as good as it once was admittedly but not as bad as the star article potrayed. that is all I am saying, it is not as bad as the star said.

there are decent people living all over sheffield believe it or not and no just because of that it does not make an area great, never said that. said there were some good people here and they like myself never encountered problems. i feel that it is not an extremely very very very crime/drug/asbo ridden area. we hav some of that as I have mentioned before. course we do. but I FEEL myself that it is NOT AS BAD AS POTRAYED IN THE STAR ARTICLE. never said the valley was the epitome of greatness. how can I be used to the problems when I have never had any? there are bad problems here, if you read all the posts you will see. but you seem to acknowledge these problems but seem to ignore all the good posts on here. so just cos there are bad reviews of the area, its v v v v v v bad, ignore the good posts, it is not heaven in the valley, nowhere is. good and bad points like everywhere else. but I have had a good life here and will continue to as will my family. ok.

and miss1889 it is the valley up there, just as kids we always thought of it as hemsworth. remember the 43 bus used to be hemsworth, we all thought it was a different area. we were kids. and its just what you grow up with thats all.

sorry!!!! im not accepting it has problems, have I just not said that.

Are you going to make me trawl through the last couple of hundred posts to prove you wrong? I will! :P

It IS a decent area.

I dont know either way, all I'm saying is that it doesnt sound like it from all the posts i've read so far, many of them from you. It sounds like there may be decent people living there, but sounds far from a decent area.

Certain abusive posts have been removed. Please also be aware that creating duplicate ID's to back your argument up is not advisable as bans always follow. Thank you.

NO, really, it IS that bad! Your experience might not be that bad but mine was, so it really is that bad.

My moving around is entirely irrelevent but to illustrate my point - I spent 6 years in Heeley, 6 in Batemoor, 2.5 in GV, 4 in Rother Valley and just a few months in temporary digs in the other areas.

I do settle but I've moved from my one bed flat in Batemoor to a 2 bed house in Heeley, 3 bed house in GV and now a 4 bed in Kiveton - because I developed relationships and had kids - but I think 6 years per house is fine. Still irrelevent, I only mentioned it because it gave me warrant to point out that GV is worse than a lot of areas, including those I've lived in.

Slating my neighbours is perfectly warranted too, front back and sides. IN front was some woman who seemed to have a suspiciously large amount of visitors and they spent most of the days outside with an entouage of kids, drinking, smoking and playing loud music. Behind was the drug dealer. Next to them was some dotty old lady who kept having to go and get her bin back from the quarry and was rather odd and rather rude (she was the least of our problems), next to her were the nice couple I mentioned previously.

Next neighbour along, the wife beater, loud music screaming fights, smashed bottles etc etc, next to them grandmother, 2 daughters and their daughters, constant yelling, door slamming, 2 y/o's running around alone after dark. Next door again, parent with multiple teens - major bad attitude, drinking on the streeet, antisocial behaviour and theft.

Next door again, parent with son and daughter, son was a royal pain in the neck, breaking things, drinking, smoking (various substances), antisocial behaviour, vandalism and theft.

After that we saw the remaining neighbours less often and no one of them were nice either. Maybe there were some nice ones we didn't know about - but I doubt it.

So, I feel entirely warranted in slating all the neighbours cos they were all awful.

It wasn't one of our dire neighbours who set fire to the fence though, it was some kid off Spotswood, a friend of one of the dire neighbours.

We never found out who did the rest of the things, in many cases we couldn't get enough evidence and some crimes we overlooked because I was so sick of calling the police.

What's more, it wasn't just our road, we could see the local pub and the amount of car fires that happened there, we witnessed beatings outside it as we've been on the way home. We've seen how many times the bus sheltershave had to be replaced, pretty much once a month because of the selfish vandalism of the idiots round there on Leighton. I saw the road above used as a police trap where car thieves left cars and ran on foot past our house to escape. We saw the woods beside our house set on fire so many times I lost count. We saw the investigation of the 2 major crimes which happened just before the bend onto Newfield Green and we saw the bus parked up whch had been stoned by the local hooligans. That's just when we were home, imagine how many more incidents happened whilst we were out avoiding going home.

Our neighbouring dealer had a whole load of dodgy dealings going on, many of which we saw out of our lounge window, involving strange transfer of diesel, drugs, boxed goods, vehicles and much, much more. I saw them hiding rubber gloves in our plants... not sure why but somethings odd there.

I found a stolen stereo thrown into the bushes at the side of our house one day as I got in from work. I imagine it was abandoned during a chase.

There's no denying GV really is just plain awful, just because you don't hear of it or experience it first hand, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I'll say it again, if you had any concept of the actual levels and quantities of crime in the area you'd be amazed and you certainly wouldn't be walking around at night and feeling brave about it.