Snake or Woodhead Pass : Which Sheffield to Manchester route?

Am i the only person who actually enjoys the drive over snake pass?

I hope it opens again soon because going other ways adds about twenty minutes on my journey, motorway is an INCREDIBLY boring drive, and like i said previously i wouldn't be able to find Winnats Pass !!

I love it. Such a fun drive as long as you're not stuck behind some muppet doing 30 and braking for everything, possibly one of the best driving roads in the country. Would be gutted if it closed; the Woodhead is horrible.

Also it's the cheapest way to get to Manchester. Trains are highly uneconomical.

I love it. Such a fun drive as long as you're not stuck behind some muppet doing 30 and braking for everything, possibly one of the best driving roads in the country. Would be gutted if it closed; the Woodhead is horrible.

Also it's the cheapest way to get to Manchester. Trains are highly uneconomical.

I too really enjoy it especially on a clear sunny day,I always put Freebird in the CD !

Tuesday 7am - info bar on BBC local news - Snake A57 closed at Ladybower reservoir - Hirst Road. A6013

Thinking about it, I can't believe that it would be considered acceptable to close the Snake Pass permanently. Many thousands of vehicles every day would have to find alternative routes through the Peak District park.

Anyone got a link to pics of the damage?

Anyone got a link to pics of the damage?

I haven't seen any either...maybe its all a big myth to see what happens if it does close permanently!

I haven't seen any either...maybe its all a big myth to see what happens if it does close permanently!

lol, never thought of that! Anyone know if its possible to drive up to where the damage is or have they physically blocked the road off with concrete blocks etc. Might take a look and post pics if its possible.

lol, never thought of that! Anyone know if its possible to drive up to where the damage is or have they physically blocked the road off with concrete blocks etc. Might take a look and post pics if its possible.

Someone on a previous page said they'd been up to look. Whether by foot or by wheel was not stated though.

Middlewood Road still hasn't been repaired after the landslip during the flood back in June.....the council said it's because of lack of funding....so will there be the necessary funding to mend Snake Pass (of course there will).....even if the funding is diverted away from the Middlewood Road repair :(

I've seen it. They already had temporary signals on because the road was starting to slip. On the last morning it was open I came through the signals and was confronted by a step in the road, maybe 6/8 inches high. There's a section of road perhaps 20/30m long which is slipping down the hill. It's located maybe half a mile Sheffield side of the Snake Pass Inn. Guy a couple of cars in front of me broke the suspension on his Honda Civic going up the step too fast!

Latest info from Derbyshire County Council is that it's still slipping but they think they will be able to do some investigations next week with a view to a temporary repair and reopening with a 20mph limit on that section. There have been problems with that section for a while. There was a pronounced dip in the road when I started to use the road regualrly about 18 months ago. They resurfaced it in the summer but it started to go again when the recent heavy rain started.

Middlewood Road still hasn't been repaired after the landslip during the flood back in June.....the council said it's because of lack of funding....so will there be the necessary funding to mend Snake Pass (of course there will).....even if the funding is diverted away from the Middlewood Road repair :(

Both these roads are under the control of different Local Authorities.

Middlewood Road = Sheffield City Council

Snake Pass = Derbyshire County Council

Both these roads are under the control of different Local Authorities.

Middlewood Road = Sheffield City Council

Snake Pass = Derbyshire County Council

I would suggest it's a dead cert then that the Snake WILL BE repaired whereas SCC can't be asked with Middlewood Road....in fact SCC can't be asked with anything that doesn't make them a profit.:mad:

Be interesting to see just how long it is before Snake is done compared to Middlewood Road :rant:

I would suggest it's a dead cert then that the Snake WILL BE repaired whereas SCC can't be asked with Middlewood Road....in fact SCC can't be asked with anything that doesn't make them a profit.:mad:

Be interesting to see just how long it is before Snake is done compared to Middlewood Road :rant:

Different Authorities have different budgets, different problems and different priorities