South Yorkshire Police officer march at Westminster

See post 30, the difference is you pension isn’t going to be withdrawn like the vast majority of final salary pensions in the private sector.

Since when did Xmas fall in every month?

“And do 'most people' pay £324.92 towards their pension, as I did this and every other month?”

Xmas doesn't fall in every month, but matters such as crime and road traffic initiatives, murder scenes, incident-related operations, the floods and other Bank Holidays can do.

There arent many jobs out there, thank god that has people working with some of the dregs of society, having to be on your guard at all times in case someone has a pop at you and seeing some of the sights that the scuffers must see on a daily basis.

Im surprised that depression isnt an industrial hazard of that bloody job and I say again, give em a good wage, they deserve it.

That's their job, you know that, I know that, they know that when they join. Some people work down sewers, some people dig roads up at night, some people work down coal mines, plenty people work in crap conditions. The only time anyone can complain is if their work conditions change for the worse in relation to the job they originally signed up for. I don't believe that is the case with the police. They are very well paid for a job which requires NO academic qualifications whatsoever to join and which has plenty of opportunities for promotion if they wish and have the acumen. Most police say they love their job and there are not many people who can say that, that in itself is worth something and one of the reasons why people are queuing up to join.

The pay rise is worth more than the 1.9 or 2% quoted by the Police Federation because it is consolidated. This means that future rises are based on the 2006/7 wage a 2.5%.

The officers who suffer disproportionately are the ones who will retire over the next 18 months.

Other areas within the public sector have been modernised in the last few years, as has the public sector pension scheme (although its still very good). For example Agenda for Change has affected many NHS staff, but there has not been the press coverage. Now its the Police's turn and they do not like it.

The argument is not about the merits of the job, or the people undertaking the job. Its about the way the Government is attacking public sector pay. Ultimately the only power the police, or any of the rest of us, have is to vote them out if we don't like it.

Xmas doesn't fall in every month, but matters such as crime and road traffic initiatives, murder scenes, incident-related operations, the floods and other Bank Holidays can do.

You stated you paid that much pension because:- ” If you must know, I worked throughout Christmas on 'nights' “

I have worked in heavy industry for 30 years, shifts, bank holidays, double backs, 12 hours, red hot in summer, freezing in winter and I have seen colleagues have serious injuries/ amputations, luckily no deaths.

I wouldn’t try and put it on par with the emergency services but you are not on your own thinking you have earned your pension after 30 years, its just that yours is guaranteed where as many people have had theirs taken away.

As I said at the start of the thread if the protest had been steelworkers or miners it would have just been brushed aside.

The officers who suffer disproportionately are the ones who will retire over the next 18 months.

Since the pension is 50% of final salary the most he will suffer is a lower pension of 0.3% of that final salary which in the case of the vast majority of coppers would be much less than £2 a week. Hardly a big deal when they retire at 55 when everyone else is having their retirement age increased.

Actually thats a bloody good point.

I wonder who will lead mounted charges at THEM and start fights with them, like they did to the miners and poll tax protesters....

I'm sure that won't be necessary today as the officers "policing" this demonstration for once wont have to be watching their backs for the unecessary violence that often occurs on such occasions. :|

keep smiling :hihi::hihi:

There are many public workers and workers generally who doubtlessly deserve more pay. The nurses and teachers being examples.

I seem to recall many instances of police 'harrassment' during many of the demo's by these sectors - cases where the police have split up groups for being 'too many in numbers', where they have closed off roads to ministries or headquarters, arrested people for what the police consider to be 'offensive behavior' and separating strike leaders from union members merely to upset proceeding or provoke the commission of arrestable offending.

The procession through London looks very low key and well behaved so far - wonder when they'll start turning cars over and painting slogans on walls!

It is a bit of a turnaround isn't it?

The point about who is policing them is very pertinent, do they not need policing because they ARE above the law as they have shown on numerous occasions.

I say give them nothing. If i remember correctly are they not exempt from paying council tax?

If they dont give them 1 1/2 % pay rise then make them pay council tax. I wonder what they would choose.

Oh i can hear a police siren, it must be chinese time:)