Little sisters of the poor

i am trying to find out if there are any records relating to the little sisters of the poor, i believe my grt grt g/father died in there,does anyone know where i f any, the recods will be.

does anyone know where i can find any information,photographs etc,with regards to the little sisters of the poor.:(

The little sisters of the poor was on East Road I think, near where the S.U.T. coach station was, and is now the bus depot,

I always thought it looked quite scary, but I don't suppose it was at all,surely there's a department in the Town hall which could help you. Good Luck.

Originally posted by AJ sheffield

Try contacting the charity commision http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/showcharity.asp?chyno=234434

Maybe they can help you.

Good luck roughy.

i am wanting records or photos for around 1891 little sisters of the poor east rd sheffield, my grt/grtgrandad died there between 1889 and1891.

Forgive my lack of local knowledge and the fact that I am not helping you in any way but what is little sisters of the poor..?

The Little Sisters of the Poor was a catholic establishment run by nuns to help poor people of the parish. I think they took in he sick and infirm who had nowhere else to go. They were housed in a big building that stood in it's own grounds opposite Olive Grove.

As a girl fom the convent school I used to sell flags in town for them.

I used to collect quite a bit. Must have had something to do with the straw hat

Hazel

Oh right, thanks...sorry again for my local ignorance but not from Sheffield and have only been here for a year or so..."through force"

You're welcome

hazel

I remember it well, it was at the bottom of Heeley bank Rd and was demolished in the 80's to make way for Housing association flats, this was a great buliding and almosy like a stately home, I have fond memories of it as my Gran used to work there and we used to go in with her in the holidays.

Not sure about the records for the place, but those records must be somewhere.

Originally posted by roughy101

i am wanting records or photos for around 1891 little sisters of the poor east rd sheffield, my grt/grtgrandad died there between 1889 and1891.

Have you found him in the 1891 census or had he died by then?

i found him in the 1891 census living in upper oborne st sheffield,but on his sons marriage certificate in 1899 he was deceased so i know he died beetween 1891/1899 i also know that in 1891 his son thomas was sent away to some sort of naughty boys school for begging, so the family were very poor.