Government pressure to match public donations

It seems like a really good idea for the government to be pressured into matching public donations to the Tsunami Disaster Fund - but where will the money ultimately come from?

Will we be forced to contribute more via incresed taxes than we have already chosen to contribute?

I'm not trying to put a damper on this - I'm just wondering how far it will go.

I'd think somewhat along the same lines, that the .gov is not necessarily responsible for taking care of our charitable contributions. Leaving the money to the people to give as they choose I think is preferable to taxing the money and giving as the .gov chooses.

This is a similar question to one which i seen earlier. I think that ultimately we are a developed country and state and a wealthy state at that, we have a morale and human obligation to help our fellow human beings in their hour of need. If a similar situation occured to us here in the UK, how would you feel if your mother, father, wife or any other person close to you died purely becuase America or any of the other countries in the world decided they couldnt find the money to support us, becuase we certainly couldnt fund something like this on our own should it happen to us.

Its a natural disaster nobody seen coming and to some extent could not have been prevented and we in the UK are a wealthy and credit worthy state, we will find the money to support it and whether it means we all have to pay a few pence extra to support it then so be it, we cant be selfish when others need our help. I agree that yes we arent a perfect country and money could be well spent here, however needs must!

The gov. puts a wad of cash aside for just such an occasion.

Small point, but I'd rather the money went to help those people than to fund our war on iraq.

the government has already commited more than the public.

i expect they can spare 100 mill, they won't even notice that it's gone.

sorry, are you saying that the uk would need help for a similar situation?

The only things needing help would be lloyds as they'd pick up most of the bill as everything is insured.

But.... the government money is our money too... they are under pressure to match our money with our money.... sounds like a trick to me.:suspect:

Also, the 'contest' between western countries to see who can give the most I find slightly sickening. This isn't about who is the most generous, its about helping people.

Originally posted by Cyclone

The only things needing help would be lloyds as they'd pick up most of the bill as everything is insured.

As an "act of god", are you sure everything would be insured ?

Originally posted by Snook

But.... the government money is our money too... they are under pressure to match our money with our money.... sounds like a trick to me.:suspect:

Also, the 'contest' between western countries to see who can give the most I find slightly sickening. This isn't about who is the most generous, its about helping people.

Well said Snook, I tend to agree with both your points.

Originally posted by foo_fighter

As an "act of god", are you sure everything would be insured ?

No, you wouldn't. But you could always sue your church, as God is responsible.

Tony Blair was interviewed on Radio 4 on Wednesday. He said then that there was far more money to come for the relief effort but that it would be released as & when it was needed & this was going to be a very long operation. He's estimating it'll be in the region of several 100 million.

He also pointed out that the interest on debt that Britian was going to write off (around 40 million) would be on top of this

If you click on this link then scroll down the running order to the 8.10 'interview with Tony Blair' link you'll be able to hear it again.

interview with Tony Blair

Maybe Governments might do better to wipe off the debts of a lot of these countries. I believe China has already said they will do this, I don't see how these places are ever going to repay them anyway.Of course the countries concerned are still going to need immediate help,but at least let them start with a clean slate. PS the above post must have been while I was typing,I mean the total debt not just the interest.

Of course almost all the government money ultimately comes from us, but people seem to forget the whole idea behind democracy.

Democracy is not "free" in terms of money.

You have a government to run the country, and they run the country with money that comes from us, the population.

people who complain about "tax and spend" miss the fundamental point of what democracy and governments are about.

The idea behind government match funding (I think) is quite democratic in action, in that the more support we give a charity the more the government will put our tax pounds into it, so I think it is a good idea.