The history of the Boardwalk building

Don't know if my mum has become confused.. old age. She says that the boardwalk, before it was rebuilt as the black swan was the original sight for the Marples, which moved to its new location after the war.

The story goes, my grandparents were in there having a drink and then went to the gaumont to see a film, they had not been long gone when the pub took a direct hit in a bombing raid.

There were so many bodies that instead of digging them out they quick limed the place, so hauntings are apparantly related to the victims of the blitz.

(apologies if this is totally wrong, family tales tend to get out of control)

Originally posted by fox20thc

Don't know if my mum has become confused.. old age. She says that the boardwalk, before it was rebuilt as the black swan was the original sight for the Marples, which moved to its new location after the war.

The story goes, my grandparents were in there having a drink and then went to the gaumont to see a film, they had not been long gone when the pub took a direct hit in a bombing raid.

There were so many bodies that instead of digging them out they quick limed the place, so hauntings are apparantly related to the victims of the blitz.

(apologies if this is totally wrong, family tales tend to get out of control)

No your mum isn't confused there used to be two Black swan Hotels in Sheffield the one your mum is on about was near ponds street.:thumbsup:

I love The Boardwalk, it's a really good venue...my dad always goes on about the days in the 60s when he used to go to gigs at the Mucky Duck. Apparently when I go I carry on the family heritage?!

Would love to see some internal pictures of the Boardwalk back in 80/1 when it was Compleat Angler and a modern trendy place with all the latest furnishings and shiny bar staff. I got turned away once for wearing jeans with holes in......and that was UNUSUAL at any pub in the early 80's and way before all pubs had door staff on.

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Would love to see some internal pictures of the Boardwalk back in 80/1 when it was Compleat Angler and a modern trendy place with all the latest furnishings and shiny bar staff. I got turned away once for wearing jeans with holes in......and that was UNUSUAL at any pub in the early 80's and way before all pubs had door staff on.

I did quite a lot of research about this pub but could only find pictures of the exterior nothing from the inside.:)

i had a cousin ,called neville ford,he used to sing at the mucky duck on the talent nights, he had a nickname "cosmo",

he used to sing my cheree amour,and i left my heart in san francisco, he fell through the roof at daniel doncasters,and was killed, he left alot of broken hearts, there were hundreds at his funeral,all the mucky duck regulars,they didnt half give him a send off, THOSE WERE THE DAYS. does anyone remember him.

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Would love to see some internal pictures of the Boardwalk back in 80/1 when it was Compleat Angler and a modern trendy place with all the latest furnishings and shiny bar staff.

Hi, I' found this site whilst surfing & researching the Complet Angler. Just last week I acquired 17 x 45mm slides of the interior of The Complet Angler taken to record conversion work commissioned by Samuel Smith's Brewery during 1979/1980.

I'm not sure how to upload them on the internet for viewing though.

Netty,

If you have a digital camera on a tripod, you might be able to get decent pictures of the slides when they are projected onto the screen.

Other than that I think you can get a scanner for slides with a backlight. Your only problem is getting the scans of the slides onto your computer. Actually getting them onto the internet is easy, most forummers can help you with that, if you haven't any of your own webspace.

If you were to email them to me for instance, I could put them in my history of sheffield pubs website.

Just read another thread about bands that used to play at the mucky duck, i,m trying to find some info on a guy called freddy benson who used to play as backing organist to acts there in the 50's or 60's (i think) has anyone heard of him??

Rewgards Dave

Just read another thread about bands that used to play at the mucky duck, i,m trying to find some info on a guy called freddy benson who used to play as backing organist to acts there in the 50's or 60's (i think) has anyone heard of him??

Rewgards Dave

is the boardwalk back open im sure i was going to see a band called the hystryonyx there a couple of weeks ago but couldnt make it a few friends went said they were good so i watched them a week later in the warncliff firth park and they were good had a good night just caught the taxi before the fight started. not from around here anymore but i always try to get up if their is something going on bands r partys

during the 60s/70s Jim Thorpes betting office was above the Black Swan.