How do I get a CRB check done?

you cannot apply for CRB yourself

you do need a seperate CRB for each organisation you work for

CRB do not pass a person as fit for the possition/job they will do.

the CRB check a persons criminal history and put any convictions on the certificate, it is then down to the employer/organisation to decide if the person is suitable for the work they intend to do.

So a bank robber could hold a CRB certificate, it would be upto the bank if they decided to employ the bank robber or not.

Ian Huntley held a standard CRB certificate, as he hadnt been convicted of any offences. if they had run an enhanced check they would have picked up that he had been cautioned for possible offences,

it would have then been down to the school/local authority to decide if he was fit to do the job that they were employing him for.

hope this clears up a bit of the mystery's of CRB certificates.:)

A CRB check is only valid for the organisation that requests it. I have 3 different CRB checks covering different organisations, plus a MOD security clearance, all of which are non transferable.

This is not true. As long as the job title is the same it can be verified by the organisation that ran it. Good practise however is to run a new one for each employer - as already pointed out it's only as good as the day it was run

You can apply for a Disclosure (criminal record/conviction certificate) from:

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk

I used them when I applied for a Personal License.

Even though it's "Scottish" it will show up all of your criminal record (or lack thereof) from within the UK but cheaper (only about £20 IIRC).

Just double check with who-ever wants the CRB check they'd be happy with a disclosure,

:)

THe problem is that a CRB check is similar to a car MOT in that it is only valid on the DAY that it is produced, thereafter the employer uses his or her own judgement as to your suitability.

If another organisation chooses to accept a month old CRB check they are taking a risk as new crimes may have been registered in the intervening period.

Yep, which makes the whole thing a bit of a mockery, doesn't it! I'm currently getting one done for a place I "worked" at 4 months ago; I did a placement there and the CRB check was done for the university. Now I'll be employed by them, I have to have another one initiated by them and until it's done I can't be left alone with patients.

The university check was done at the start of the course four years ago, we just had to update it every year by saying we hadn't committed (well, been convicted of) a crime, which is not much of a check really!

I could murder someone the day after the certificate was issued, if I didn't get caught then I would be a CRB cleared murderer :rolleyes:

you cannot apply for CRB yourself

you do need a seperate CRB for each organisation you work for

CRB do not pass a person as fit for the possition/job they will do.

the CRB check a persons criminal history and put any convictions on the certificate, it is then down to the employer/organisation to decide if the person is suitable for the work they intend to do.

So a bank robber could hold a CRB certificate, it would be upto the bank if they decided to employ the bank robber or not.

Ian Huntley held a standard CRB certificate, as he hadnt been convicted of any offences. if they had run an enhanced check they would have picked up that he had been cautioned for possible offences,

it would have then been down to the school/local authority to decide if he was fit to do the job that they were employing him for.

hope this clears up a bit of the mystery's of CRB certificates.:)

As far as I can tell CRB as such didn't exist when Huntley committed his crimes, there was no CRB certificate for him to hold.

The checks that they did run should have flagged up numerous accusations, but they failed to store the information and the team that did the checking didn't have access to certain databases.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3313303.stm

The current CRB system including enhanced checks has been put into place following his murders to ensure that the checks are never mishandled again.

Yep, which makes the whole thing a bit of a mockery, doesn't it! I'm currently getting one done for a place I "worked" at 4 months ago; I did a placement there and the CRB check was done for the university. Now I'll be employed by them, I have to have another one initiated by them and until it's done I can't be left alone with patients.

The university check was done at the start of the course four years ago, we just had to update it every year by saying we hadn't committed (well, been convicted of) a crime, which is not much of a check really!

I could murder someone the day after the certificate was issued, if I didn't get caught then I would be a CRB cleared murderer :rolleyes:

You could have murdered them at any time, the point is that it only shows convictions (and allegations in the enhanced check), it doesn't really mean anything except that you've not been caught for anything yet.