Woohoo! new additions!

My mum's finally agreed to consider letting me have rats while still living with her!

I went to her armed with lots of research and she agreed that as I'm having my bedroom redecorated with new furniture we can't do anything until that's over but then if I've kept up all other responsibilities and 'proven myself' through housework and keeping my dratted room tidy (I used to be such a tidy person), then we'll look at getting me a couple of girls :D (I sound like a big kid!)

Am very pleased, really looking forward to training them :blush:

Just need to find a 2nd hand cage somewhere now... the ones I've looked at that are reasonably stimulating for a pair of rats are really expensive. :(

Lotti, I'll get you some links off the rat forum that I am a member of. They have posted some fab cages and not at too expensive a price at all.

Or......you could look on ebay as they seem to have a lot of rat cages at really good prices.

Hurrah! Congrats Lotti - knew you could persuade the folks eventually :)

Thanks Lspacehopper - I'll take a look at the links.

The problem I have is space... I want one that will keep them stimulated but not too big as I don't have lots of space. They'll be out of the cage for at least an hour a day too.

My limit, I'm not sure yet... it obviously depends as to when it is, it's going to be at least a couple of months I'd expect so depending on my financial situation then but I'd like to keep to the lower end of the price scale but still have a good sized cage.

Would a bird cage with added shelves and tubes etc be sufficient or would I be better off with a purpose built rat cage?

Hurrah! Congrats Lotti - knew you could persuade the folks eventually :)

The 'it'd be great for my behaviour studies too. They're great to train' really helped I think :D:D

You could certainly use a bird cage if you could find one suitable, the problem with a lot of them is that they can be a bit small and difficult to make use of the space. I have an aviary for my girls and it's great but it does take up a lot of space.

The 3 tier one on the ideas-4-pets link that Lspacehopper posted is not a bad cage, it's a pain to put together but once it's up it's pretty versitile. I got one of them from ebay about 6 months ago for £40 so definitely worth keeping your eye out. I also have a 2 tier version and you could get away with having two girls in one if you arranged it right

http://www.zooplus.co.uk sometimes have some good deals on and their cages are quite popular!

Try the market place on http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk as well as some people sell cages on there, ebay is great though, search for ferret cages as well as rat cages! :)

oh thanks purrball that's fab :D

I'll keep an eye out!

Woohoo!! :D

Well done Lotti, can't wait to meet the new arrivals! I nearly posted on your clicker-training thread to say that I'd clicker trained my rats but I thought it might be ever so slightly off topic... but they are very trainable. Be warned though, they do have selective hearing, the power of the clicker is substancially increased when waving a treat with one hand... they know:roll:

Edit - bird cages are just as good, just got to make sure there are no big drops (hammocks in the way etc). Sometimes you'll find bird cage bars can be a pain for getting water bottles to hook onto but otherwise they make great cages with plenty of toys in. Rats love to climb so if you're limited on space then go for a taller cage rather than a wider one. Bear in mind that you want good door access for getting them out, cleaning and hanging hammocks. Obviously something that's not a complete beast to clean is also an advantagous!