UK Mama - Restaurant/takeaway. Your opinions...

I agree. I went a few weeks ago and the food was reasonably good (not amazing, but certainly enjoyable). But....

....the waiter seemed like it was his first day on the job and was really struggling (since he was the *only* waiter in the whole place). All the food came out at different times so that you had to eat your main course before you even got the side dishes to go with it (else the main would go cold). It just all seemed a bit chaotic and amateurish. The manager came out at the end and we have a long chat with him - seemed a really nice guy. But I have to say I won't be going back because I felt the service was very sub-standard, and am put off by comments on here about the food being "hit or miss" with miss apparently equalling awful or worse giving people food poisoning?

Also they don't seem to stock 80% of the drinks on the menu! In the end we had to ask them to tell us what they had got, rather than continueing to go through the menu to be told "sorry we don't have that either"!

once went with a large group about 10 yrs ago and the experience was almost identical, never been back since. dont know if its the same owner still !

I went in there for an early bird special a few years ago and had a vegetable stew.

It looked like it had been boiling on the stove for a week, the only identifiable vegetable being courgette (I think) and tasted as if the lid had come off the salt pot.

Halfway through our 'meal' a regular customer came in and ordered from the expensive menu.

We were the only other people in the restaurant and from that point onwards, we were completely ignored, while the waiter grovelled and slimed all over them, to the point where it was becoming nauseating.

Possibly the worst restaurant I've ever been in

Went once and ended up walking out, was only people in there, service was not very good at all, was far too hot ( summer ) no air con switched on.

We are very easy to please when it comes to eating out but this was really not good at all :(

Been a few times, the food is ok, not really a great example of African/Caribbean cooking. If you're looking for a fun night with time on your hands and moderate expectations it's ideal.

I went up with two mates recently and really liked it - yeah it was a bit tired inside, but was quite homely and the food was really nice. An African guy in very colourful clothing even taught us the bongos after we'd eaten which was very odd but fun!

Service was a bit slow but much better than being rushed in and rushed out like some other places, gave us time to sink a few more African beers... maybe thats why they do it!

Graham

Their stand mentions 'as seen on tv'; Crimewatch maybe:)

Actually it's because the local BBC news did a very short report from there prior to the England v Nigeria game during the 2002 world cup, as the owner is Nigerian.

I have had experiance at UK MAMA. I had the oppertunity to become an apprentice at the restaurant, not knowing about the experiance other people have had there. During my time there i was given no training what so ever! I was told to set the table's and take orders. I was the only waiter there and been treated as an employed proper waiter with experiance before in the industry. The owner would call me to the kitchen downstairs and tell me to go to the tables where people were eating and have a conversation with them about where they'd come from ect.. I myself wouldn't like to be irritated by a waiter asking about my life when trying to have a nice evening out. The owner told me that the training providers would be in touch with me and ring me at his restaurant while im there, after a couple weeks i became curious about the training provider and so i called them myself.

The owner of the place had never informed them of an apprentice having started and yet wanting to pay me the normall apprentice wage of £2.50 per hour i worked the unsociable hours of 5 till 11:30. Sounds abit dodgey right?! I did however sort this out with the training provider and was given full pay. The manager was rude, disrespectfull and aggressive to his employee's and to the costumers who disliked his food. Reducing one woman there to tears.

The new waiters there may be a little slow because proper training and attention is not given by the manager, who also doesnt explain himself but instead thinks you can read minds :suspect: ..

Most all the food on the menu is from frozen which he has made himself, the amount of soft drink there is discusting, the tall narrow glass is filled to the top with ice then about 10% full with drink. In the few weeks i worked there before quitting the beer was never a wide range like on the menu it only consists of red stripe and 2 others.

I wouldn't eat there myself !!

I have had experiance at UK MAMA. I had the oppertunity to become an apprentice at the restaurant, not knowing about the experiance other people have had there. During my time there i was given no training what so ever! I was told to set the table's and take orders. I was the only waiter there and been treated as an employed proper waiter with experiance before in the industry. The owner would call me to the kitchen downstairs and tell me to go to the tables where people were eating and have a conversation with them about where they'd come from ect.. I myself wouldn't like to be irritated by a waiter asking about my life when trying to have a nice evening out. The owner told me that the training providers would be in touch with me and ring me at his restaurant while im there, after a couple weeks i became curious about the training provider and so i called them myself.

The owner of the place had never informed them of an apprentice having started and yet wanting to pay me the normall apprentice wage of £2.50 per hour i worked the unsociable hours of 5 till 11:30. Sounds abit dodgey right?! I did however sort this out with the training provider and was given full pay. The manager was rude, disrespectfull and aggressive to his employee's and to the costumers who disliked his food. Reducing one woman there to tears.

The new waiters there may be a little slow because proper training and attention is not given by the manager, who also doesnt explain himself but instead thinks you can read minds :suspect: ..

Most all the food on the menu is from frozen which he has made himself, the amount of soft drink there is discusting, the tall narrow glass is filled to the top with ice then about 10% full with drink. In the few weeks i worked there before quitting the beer was never a wide range like on the menu it only consists of red stripe and 2 others.

I wouldn't eat there myself !!

Did this happen recently

Did this happen recently

Earlier this year, around january time.

He also made me serve alcohol, i was underage at the time aswell.

Edited by Little king
more information