About Johnny Tempest . . . .

I was his postman for quite a few years. Both he and his wife were nice people, as was his mum in law.

hi there,

I know its a long while since you wrote this message, but I am the daughter of one of the first cadillacs, who played with Johnny. My dad's name is Brian Bruce and he was an amazing guitarist. He was in the Knives and Forks and the Texans too we have all the old newspaper cuttings. Sadly my dad died only 61 in April of cancer, after having it for a year. I was looking up things about Johnny and the cadillacs to reminisce.... By the way, the word was that it wasnt suicide for Johnny but that he had had a row with his wife and went to sleep in the car, leaving the engine on... very sad. My dad was heartbroken when he died. He was a great bloke and I saw them play together when i was young. We had a copy of the record, but sadly my brother broke it when he was young, do you know where I can get another copy?

if you want a copy of the record" being with you" i sent the record to sheffiel tony pm him and i am sure he will send you a cdopy:thumbsup:

Sorry for the long silence - I've been out of touch for a while. Anyway . . . . .

Bonkles: Do me a big favour. Get your old cuttings out and re-check that the band name really was "Knives and Forks" - can you send me a scan of the clipping proving this. Reason is that I remember a different name and that the knives and forks were actually just illustrations along with the name. The band name I remember was The Cutlers. I know this goes against what's been said several times here as well as in other places, but my memory tells me "they got it wrong." At the end of the day I guess it's more than likely that my memory is failing me, but I really would like to be sure! Maybe you'd like me to send you the record which Jenny was so kind to send to me a while ago?

Tony

Hi there, We would love the record if you dont want it, my mum would be thrilled and it would be a fabulous keepsake of my dads playing and singing backing vocals on it too. They were called the Knives and forks for a while and also The Texans too, I think... If you are serious about the record please let me know. I would be so chuffed. Thanks and sorry its been so very long - hope you are still posting here!

Hi there, We would love the record if you dont want it, my mum would be thrilled and it would be a fabulous keepsake of my dads playing and singing backing vocals on it too. They were called the Knives and forks for a while and also The Texans too, I think... If you are serious about the record please let me know. I would be so chuffed. Thanks and sorry its been so very long - hope you are still posting here!
Well well well, johny tempests rides again, I sent the record to Tony a long time ago, are you related to Johny:thumbsup:

HI there,

Yes I read you had sent it to him and he offered to send it to me, but I had not seen the reply so only started logging back on recently! I am not related, My dad played guitar with him and was in the cadillacs. texans and knives and forks - Brain Bruce - he was friends with Johnny for years. Sadly my dad died a couple of years ago with cancer. I found the record - but it had been broken... We have the track on disc, but would love the orginal record if we could get it.

Two of John Tempests group......Barry Brumpton and Mal Townrow are still doing the rounds in pubs(they were at the Anglers Rest on Richmond Park Rd on boxing day),where they are frequent visitors,playing under the name of would you believe The Cadillacs.

I am Johnny Tempest wife Pene' we have two sons Rickie John and Simon John. I have the origional record and also have put it on cd. John lives on in his sons forever. Pene'

sadly johny commited suicide,i loved going to see him and the cadillacs at the dial house club, they changed there name to the knives and forks, and made a record called being with you.

i was one of the few people to buy it and i still have it.

one of the group called malc townroe was playing with a group called past masters. who are also very good, also johny is mentioned quite a bit in peter stringfellows autobiograghy.

to put the record straight john did not commit suicide he had a tragic accident. stringys' book has also been altered.he will always be missed by his wife and two sons.

Edited by pene'luck
i did not write that john commited suicide as this is not true. I put the record straight underneath . Pene' Johns wife.

sadly johny commited suicide,i loved going to see him and the cadillacs at the dial house club, they changed there name to the knives and forks, and made a record called being with you.

i was one of the few people to buy it and i still have it.

one of the group called malc townroe was playing with a group called past masters. who are also very good, also johny is mentioned quite a bit in peter stringfellows autobiograghy.

to put the record straight john did not commit suicide it was a tragic accident. also stringys' book has been altered to this affect.

Hello, I`m from germany, Herford, and spent some time with the knives and forks in 1965. I helped them to go back to England because the were contracted here with a promoter called Carola Frauli. If you want to see a photo of the band with Chris Stainton at that time, go on facebook and there the page of Udo Lummer. He posted today an old picture. They played together in the Star club.

Hi there, thank you for your reply.It was a lovely suprise after all this time. Yes John was in Germany then at Beilafeld and around Germany. I have tried to go on udo lummer facebook but cannot find anyone of that name. Would it be possible for you to email it to me, as I would love to see it. I also have a photo of John in Germany with someone who lived there perhaps it is udo lummer ? I will email it to you. Many thanks, Pene' Luck-Greaves