Mashouse and new Chinese restuarant on West Street

Has anyone been to these new restuarants:

The Mashouse on Division Street - serves traditional British food. Anybody got it's phone number. There is no phone number on the menu outside, and it's not coming up on Yell.com or BT.com

The new chinese restuarant on West Street - can't remember it's name. I've got it's phone number

I've seen the menus and prices for both places. They both look nice. What do other people think?

Anna

The chinese is called Hui Wei by Simply Chinese. I do believe the other one is called MashHouse and it was supposed to open yesterday.

Mash house opens tonight (15th) it had a preview thing last night with canapes and they were delicious so I think it should be good.

The one on West street is very nice. Would describe it as a kind of modern-contemporary chinese type affair. Must be the most 'designed' restaurant in Sheffield.

The food was absolutely delicious in any case and the service very attentive. busy, but quite a quiet atmosphere (might be becasue it is mostly booths.

We went to the Mash House with a couple of friends on Friday, two days after it opened. We had to book a 7:30 "slot" which gave us a table for 2 hours. When we got there, we couldn't believe it was so tiny. There's only room for 30 covers, roughly 18 on a lower level and 12 on a higher level. The toilets are back out the front door in the vestibule and bloody cold. We had to wait while the 5:30 sitting moved out. The menu is basically school/mum's cooking done very up-market. We had a beer each while waiting for the food, four main courses, two puds and two bottles of surprisingly palatable English red wine. This came to £100. The food was OK but it's hard to get excited over sausage and mash no matter how well done and presented. The service was amatuerish and erratic down to the fact they hadn't anticipated the level of interest on their opening week. But they were all extremely friendly and helpful, the food was interesting and the atmosphere was buzzing - maybe down to the fact there seemed to be a few xmas parties on the go. Unaware that we'd exceeded our two hour slot, they asked very nicely if we'd mind moving to a different table as they were about to receive a party of 22. Which we did and watched as they tried to cope with the new influx. It'll be interesting to see how they fare in the cold light of January minus xmas office nights out.

i think ill wait till jan to give it a whirl.....looking forward to it thou. :)

THE MASHOUSE PHONE NUMBER IS 0114 2755060. WE HAVE BEEN ON A FEW OCCASIONS NOW FOR BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND AN EVENING OUT WITH THE GIRLS. THE FOOD AND SERVICE HAVE BEEN EXCELLENT ON ALL OCCASIONS. EXTREMELY REASONABLY PRICED.TAKEN THE KIDS WHO HAVE ALSO THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT. TRY THE RUMBLEDETHUMPS MASH ITS TO DIE FOR.

I went the other week and it was fantastic. I really love proper English food and the beef stew I had was perfect ( except the horseradish dumplings didn’t have enough horseradish in them for my tastes)

Only problem was we ate late (9.30) and a lot of the menu had sold out, i.e. the black pudding starter that was the main reason i wanted to go.

So I've booked for my mums birthday next Friday early this time 7.30.

I love the place.

Cannot comment on the Mashouse but know of 2 people that have been to Hui wei and both of them said that it was really good - nice surroundings,friendly waiting staff and food to die for.

Anyone else noticed that fagan138 has only posted twice, both times about how GREAT the Mashouse is?

Maybe I'm being overly suspicious, but they couldn't possibly work for / own Mashouse could they....

This is my first post and no, before you ask, I dont work for or own the Mashouse but we did go there on Friday and I must say that if you havent already, its a definate must. There is only so much chinese, indian and italian you can take and it makes a refreshing change to have something very nice to eat in nice surroundings at a reasonable cost (you can get similar eateries on Ecclesall Road but they are soooo expensive). I was recommended the Mashouse by a friend who went a couple of weeks ago so we thought we'd give it a whirl ... I had the potted cheese to start which came with a warm chutney, (very moreish), for mains I had toad in the hole, the toad was very meaty with no gristle at all, accompanied by the colcannon mash and to finish (I was the only one who could manage a pud, what does that tell you!) I had the bread and butter pudding ...... at one point, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, it certainly wasnt out of a packet thats for sure.

As for my friends, cant remember the names of the starters but one was a corned beef type, and one was a haddock and cheese thingy (sorry Mashouse, i cant remember the menu names) but they said they were delicious, as were their mains, lamb and monkfish scampi.

The decor is small and comfortable which adds to the fact that you know the food is being prepared just for you, this certainly wont be our last visit.