Fostering/foster carers

sorry forgot to say a little boy 3 months heroin dependant.Dont be put off if your health isnt fab I am 38 and have had 3 heart attacks and now have a defibrillator inplanted. I told the panel i am abetter mum now than before I was Ill. Good luck, But the bad side is there is a 2 and a 4 in the morning!!!:loopy::help:

awww poor little love, must be hard for you. how is the baby doing. some mothers dont care what they are doing when taking drugs do they.

i think i have said before that i suffered from depression, and i still take my tablets, i feel they are a safety net, its not that i am still down. i hope this isnt going to go against me. oh and i am 47, so that might be a reason to say no to me.

please keep in touch and let me know how you are both doing. i will be thinking about the baby all the time now.

We had a knock back for now and I'm absolutely gutted by it. I hadn't realised how emotiopnally involved I've bcome with the idea.

The guidelines used by SCC are that children under 5 must not be fostered by anyone who is a smoker, my partner had recently been smoking again, only at work and I was honest enough to tell them but they knocked us back for it even though he quit the day he found out it could affect things.

You have to have been smoke free for 6 months before trying again.

I just want to get on the training and get on with it, ready to be approved after that 6 month period but I'm waiting to hear form the social worker as to if that's possible.

Probably not, we'd be considered a risky investment for training I guess.

Needless to say I was cross that Mr Z had been smoking but I think I can rest easy that there will be no probs in 6 months.

They offered us the possibility to go ahead on the training and foster ages 5+ until the 6 months is up but after lengthy discussions we felt it would be silly, our whole lives are geared around toddlers, putting older kids in the equation would mean that someone would end up feeling unhappy and left out, either ours or the child staying with us.

So, I feel pretty sad about it all at the moment.

I am really sorry to hear this, as you my know it all comes from the national legisation(green paper) on the 5 outcomes, being healthy, staying safe enjoying and achieving and making a positive contribution. Many local policies are based around these in children's provision, the good news is the whole child or 'looked after children's' agenda is moving to shared care fostering and support with fostering and a decrease in residential looked after childrens provision. There is such a great need for the right people so don't give up, when yours are nearly 3 a toddler coming in would be great, a baby would be easier (with yours a bit older) keep focused and keep your OH off the fags;):) all the best of luck

this may have been asked but i couldn't find the link.

my wife and i have always said that we might foster children, as we decided to only have one biological child.

can anyone advise how to go about it?

we would prefer older children, not babies.

Through the (reaosnably extensive) research we did we found we could either go through an agency or through the local council.

An agency will pay more but that's generally because they have children who are more difficult to place. They tend to have older children, those with special needs and those with serious behaviour issues.

Local councils pay less - mostly just an allowance for the costs of the child but will place children from birth right up to 16/18.

You need to consider if you want to do short or long term care, or even respite care. Short term is called task based and can last up to two years.

The process will take around 6 months. You need to be non smokers, have a spare room entirely for the child in your care etc etc.

If you look at Sheffield City Councils website they have a page about fostering and an initial contact number.

Good luck. We've just been temporarily rejected as my partner had been having a crafty fag here and there and although he quit the same day he found out, they won't touch us with a barge pole until he's been quit for 6 months and even then there's ANOTHER six months to go through the processes.

That's terrible Zebra, I think if a family is offering a home, that'll be stable and loving, it should be snapped up. Theres so many children needing homes and just because your OH smokes now and again you get refused. Atleast you've shown your willing to help. I've always wanted to foster children, but now it's so hard to do it (and im obviously too young) I say well done to everyone who is willing to foster. Good luck. x

have just got a new fosterbaby heroin dependant now doing well. Have4 kidsof our own , Mum having no contact but adoption is about 15 months away. Very rewarding but tiring and so so so frustrating. Best of luck . lots of kids needing lovely homes.