Seimens furnacemen at firth browns

Does anyone know whether there are any workers records kept for seimens furnacemen? My great grandfather James Wallace was a furnaceman at Firth Browns off forncett street in Brightside Bierlow around about 1900 - 1920. That's all I know about him. Can anyone help to shed light on him. He's not in the census data.

Originally posted by oscarpie

Does anyone know whether there are any workers records kept for seimens furnacemen? My great grandfather James Wallace was a furnaceman at Firth Browns off forncett street in Brightside Bierlow around about 1900 - 1920. That's all I know about him. Can anyone help to shed light on him. He's not in the census data.

sorry mate cant really help,have you got his army number or anything else to go on? 1914-1918 war veterans are on british records office site,might be worth a look,sorry dont know bro url but you can search by name im told good luck with it.

Do you have any idea of his age or where he may have been born

Not concrete information - I think he would have been born after 1860 probably in sheffield. i have looked at various census's of the area 1881, 1891, 1901 but none are convincing candidates for my grandmothers father. she was born in 1899 and her mum was 38 years old at the time.

Had a look on the 1901 census and found your Gills no clues there the only suggestion I can make is to look no.76 up on the electoral rolls to see who is living there 1901 onwards it should list all adults, ---the gower st. one is the most likely candidate

Firth Browns Siemens furnaces were situated between Carlisle St and Savile St and were demolished around1970 and a70 ton electric arc furnace built on the siteThe bridge across from the Corner Pin was known as Browns bridge there was always a chain horse stood there to help with the heavily loaded drays The bridge lower down Carlisle St across from the Carlisle(Swainees) was known as Cammels bridgeI knew quite a few siemens workers over the years but James Wallace doesnt ring a bell

kingfisher

i think it is unlikely that anyone would remember him. all i know was that he fathered my grandmother in 1899 and most probably her sister born in 1896. what about james gill or james willis? there were definately brothers called herbert and walter gill. walter was around until 1901 at least.

thanks for the info though.

oscarpie

i very much doubt if you will find anyone around today who can go back to 1901 I can only go back to 1938the only Gill i knew there was a Les Gill

Hi Kingfisher,

I remember Les Gill,he was the foreman in the Norfolk Melting Shop when I started in 1960.

By the way are you going to the Reunion on the 29th Dec

(1-00pm in the Trades &Labour Club)

I may be way off the mark, but Brightside had a train station serving the steel works until relatively recently. Perhaps you should be looking as far afield as Rotherham, as this is on the same line?

Hi Radio Mick,think i have got yoy in one did your dad use to work at F>BrownsI am hoping to go to the reunion not many of us left now,they tell me Birky pays for the ale(only joking lol)kingfisher

Firth Browns Siemens furnaces were situated between Carlisle St and Savile St and were demolished around1970 and a70 ton electric arc furnace built on the siteThe bridge across from the Corner Pin was known as Browns bridge there was always a chain horse stood there to help with the heavily loaded drays The bridge lower down Carlisle St across from the Carlisle(Swainees) was known as Cammels bridgeI knew quite a few siemens workers over the years but James Wallace doesnt ring a bell

I have a postcard of a triumphal arch for a visit by King Edward VII at "Browns Bridge" (spanning a road with 2 parallel tram lines), it's made from 2 forging presses, the top looks like a battleship's bridge with 4 guns with the caption "Britain's Defence". I believe the King visited Sheffield in July 1905, which would fit, can anyone confirm the location? Many thanks :help: