Where does/will free bus travel for pensioners apply?

hi, my in laws who are pensioners are visiting from Scotland. Does anyone know if they too can use the bus here for free, thanks

hi, my in laws who are pensioners are visiting from Scotland. Does anyone know if they too can use the bus here for free, thanks

I'm sure I'm right in saying you cannot use the bus passes over the borders, it has been talked about on several occasions by the polititions, but as yet not put into force. :(

No, sorry, it's not currently possible to use a pass from scotland in south yorkshire.

Come next april, the pass will be exchanged for a national pass, which will be valid across the country. This applies to Mobility passes as well as a "pensioners" pass.

For an Over-60, that lives within South Yorkshire, to enjoy free travel within South Yorkshire, they need a Senior Citizen Pass issued by SYPTE.

To obtain one (for free) you need someone to take the following to a Travel South Yorkshire Information Centre:

• a passport size photograph
  • proof of address
  • and proof of age

.. for security reasons the pass will then be posted to the address given.

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/your_tickets/ticket_types/senior_citizens_pass.htm

There may room for creative thinking there!

........Come next april, the pass will be exchanged for a national pass, ......

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/your_tickets/ticket_types/The+English+National+Concession+Pass.htm

The "English national concession pass" - does this mean it won't be available to people who live north of the border?

Are we really this stupid?

20. Will residents of England be able to travel around the UK?

No, but eligible residents will be able to travel on any off-peak local bus service in any area of England.

Concessionary bus travel is a devolved policy area. The Concessionary Bus Travel Bill contains powers to allow for mutual recognition of concessionary bus passes across the UK in the future. The Government has had initial discussions with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland about this issue.

21. What about people in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland already operate their own schemes for their residents. These schemes are not affected by the changes in England.

22. What happens when a bus service starting in England reaches the border with Scotland or Wales?

The national concession guarantees free off-peak local bus travel for eligible England residents within England, but not within Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. However, local authorities do have the discretion to make special arrangements (to be funded locally) where they feel they are appropriate. This could, for example, include free travel on short cross-border journeys.

thanks all, have to make sure I give em the bus fare if they take the kids out then.

The "English national concession pass" - does this mean it won't be available to people who live north of the border?

No only to English and I think northern ireland there is a leaflet available at the PTE offices - it comes in next year

Have received form today from SYPTE.To apply for concessionary bus pass to be used on local buses throughout England.Think it comes into force from July 2008

I've delivered 100's of these today - I reckon around 1 in 3 people on my delivery got one. I know they're not all pensioners though, are other people eligible as well?

I've delivered 100's of these today - I reckon around 1 in 3 people on my delivery got one. I know they're not all pensioners though, are other people eligible as well?

Rob 1,

Is it correct that there is still a large backlog of mail to deliver ?

Rob 1,

Is it correct that there is still a large backlog of mail to deliver ?

Sheffield is up to date especcially on meter, stamped PPI we are almost there on mailsort items - send by firms mainly advertising items .

Understand Liverpool is still behind as they are working a work to rule - but they are taking steps to ensure the backlog is cleared