Road traffic accident on Meadowhead roundabout

UPDATE:

I checked my car more closely earlier only to find that I had sustained more damage than I had previously thought, my grill is out of line and the headlight seal has been pushed in about 1cm and the paint has cracked on the bumper. (lesson to be learned here, check more closely at the time.)

The guy said he would call me last night with his details, he didn't, so I have just called him and guess what.

Despite yesterday him being very irate and claiming it was my fault he has now changed his tune.

Despite him having a lot of damage to his drivers door and front quarter panel he has decided "it's not worth claiming!"

So I told him "tough luck matey, I'm claiming against you".......to which he replied......"you haven't got a leg to stand on":loopy:

We'll see.

have you reported the accident? You may have to, to comply with the insurance etc etc.

My guess is that he's not insured, and is simply trying to intimidate you into not claiming and "settling cash"

As you have found out, doing this at the scene could be dangerous as you don't know what damage lies hidden in your car, take him all the way, and watch him squirm.

You might want to investigate if there's CCTV on that roundabout.

have you reported the accident? You may have to, to comply with the insurance etc etc.

Yep reported it.

You might want to investigate if there's CCTV on that roundabout.

Apart from going to look, is there any other way of finding out?

Can you claim against him without having his insurance details?

This roundabout will get worse once the Audi dealership is up and running;far more traffic.Just hope there is going to be some traffic lights installed.

I used to work for a law firm dealing with peoples insurance claims for car accidents, and used to see this type of thing alot.

If you were on the roundabout he should have given way to any traffic coming from the right, no matter wether he thinks there is a big enough gap.

Now this guy has go it into his head that he is in the right because you hit him, and he is partially correct. If you were traveling in a convoy and he braked and you went into him then its your fault, i know this has not happened but i suspect that this is where he thinks its your fault.

Roundabouts are a bit of a grey area, and i suspect that he will be telling his insurance company that he was already on the roundabout and you came round the roundabout too fast and hit him. You will of course tell your insurance company that you were on the roundabout and he pulled out infront of you.

The insurance companies now have to decide who was actually at fault, in some cases this accidents are settled on a 50/50 basis, where neither party will accept that it is there fault, or that proof of fault can not be determind.

If you have witnesses get there details to your insurance company, you will need to draw the scene and place where the vehicles were at the time of the accident, its also a good i dea to draw their position before the accident. It would be a good idea to provide your insurance company with photos of the area, showing the road markings and lane etc.

I know its time consuming but i found that the people who provided this information to me when i was looking after this sort of thing stood are far greater chance of being proved blameless for the accident.

The sooner you get that information to your insuracne company the better.

I Hope that is of some help to you.

Can you claim against him without having his insurance details?

Yep, you just need a registration number and you can find out who he is insured with, or more to the point your insurance company can.

If his not insured you might be able to make a claim against the Motor Insurance Bureau, they have a slush fund that every car insurer has to pay into for things like this, but i can't remember what criteria you have to meet. However i'm sure your insurance company will know.

UPDATE:

I checked my car more closely earlier only to find that I had sustained more damage than I had previously thought, my grill is out of line and the headlight seal has been pushed in about 1cm and the paint has cracked on the bumper. (lesson to be learned here, check more closely at the time.)

The guy said he would call me last night with his details, he didn't, so I have just called him and guess what.

Despite yesterday him being very irate and claiming it was my fault he has now changed his tune.

Despite him having a lot of damage to his drivers door and front quarter panel he has decided "it's not worth claiming!"

So I told him "tough luck matey, I'm claiming against you".......to which he replied......"you haven't got a leg to stand on":loopy:

We'll see.

I am sure that it will be the other person who will end up doing the Long John Silver impersonation.

I had a similar accident in June.

I was travelling from Norton to then go down Chesterfield road, as i was exiting i was cut up by a 4x4, and then another car, who obviously thought that as the 4x4 had gone it was safe to do so, the car then hit my side door doing a Mass of damage. The drivers passenger then spent the next 30 mins Threatening me and saying that i was speeding and that i came from no-where...

The police were called and agreed that as i was on the round-about i was in the right. I also had a witness thankfully who said that the other had not looked.

There is no way they were in the right. I assume their argument is that you were in the wrong lane for leaving the roundabout and the assumed you were going round. That would be wrong anyway but from what you have said you were doing as directed by the road markings as can be seen below - if it is up-to-date.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7950/95358583jc3.jpg

This photo is obviously old, as the bushes on the bottom right of the pic havent been there for at least 6 months, also the Norton Pub, has been a different colour for at least a year.

BTW

56cheffy, the other driver in my claim did not contact her insurance company at all, "BUT MINE DID IT FOR HER" :hihi: This actually went against her, and within 2 months i had a letter telling me that her insurance had accepted liability.:D

Good luck with it.:thumbsup: