Anyone from Hyde Park Flats?

caronlel

I Lived there for 10 years, but what i would like to know is where the names of the landings came from! Does anyone know!

I lived on Henry Row

Where was that, that you lived, then, cra1g? *puzzled*

There was no Henry row on HPF, or any of the others in the three developments, which included Kelvin and PHF.

on HPF there were *big block*

High Pavement Row

Bevis Row

Chancel Row

Dacre Row

Lord Row

Rowland Row (Roland?)

and St John's Row

*small block* (now the red-clad NCHA block, and now have different names to the ones originally given such as "Castle Walk")

Bungay Row

Chequers Row

Derwent Row

Ropery Row

Cricket Inn Gardens

*Smaller block* (now the green-clad block, Harold Lambert Court)

High pavement row,

Reubens (Rubens?) row

Link row

I forget the name of the top floor - was it manor oaks gardens?)

*Smallest block* (nearest town)

Link row

Snow hill row

Stepney row

these "rows" were pretty much all named after the streets that were originally around the district:- Lord Street, Dacre Street, Bungay Street, Stepney Street, Snow Hill... etc, etc. you can see the old street names if you look on an old map pre clearance in the early 1950's.

It was the same with PHF and Kelvin:- on PHF, Norwich St was immortalised as Norwich Row, Long Henry St became Long Henry Row, Hague St became Hague row, and Gilbert St became Gilbert Row. Indeed you can still see four of the old roads (not including South Street) to the front of PHF, between the tram (which runs along what used to be Granville St) and PHF itself.

You can see the old cobbled streets, running diagonally up the now-grassy bank. there is one that runs up to the old sweet factory, and by gosh! that one looks almost vertical!!!

In Kelvin, when the old streets were demolished, again, the rows, those "streets in the sky", were named after the old streets that were there before the redevelopment:- Kelvin walk, Woollen walk and Edith Walk were the main ones I remember, again, I am struggling to remember the name of the fourth "walk"on Kelvin. I'm sure it was "Portland" after what was Portland Street?

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

As you can see I am new on SF. What a trip down memory lane reading this thread was.

My family moved onto Hyde park in 1976. We lived above the Crows Nest Pub.

I would like to ask if anyone can remember what the name of the pub was that stood right at the end of either Hyde Park Walk or Hyde Park Terrace?

Also could any one clarify that there used to be a groceryshop/supermarket called Bradshaws on High Pavement?

Thanks

...I would like to ask if anyone can remember what the name of the pub was that stood right at the end of either Hyde Park Walk or Hyde Park Terrace?...

The one at the end of Hyde Park Walk nearest the Salvation Army was The Earl Francis, I think.

Cheers for that Hecate. I've been wracking my brains for that since I read this thread earlier. ...

You're welcome :) .

...I don't suppose you know whether I'm right or not about Bradshaws do you?

No, sorry. I didn't really know that bit of Hyde Park when I lived in Sheffield.

I thought Bradshaws was on Pavement Row, down on Park hill. (rather than high pavement)

I remember the Co-op, and Sue's Shop, as well as the paper shop on High pavement, (there was a bookies, the rent office, a freezer shop and what I think was a hairdressers that became the community association offices, on the actual shops and the tenants' hall where they held the youth club (the Hyde- away?) and the bingo nights.

Archived