Harry Elliott Sheffield Police Force

Hi,

Doing a bit of research into family history and am looking for any leads to information about my great grandad.

His name is Harry Elliott, he worked in the police force in Sheffield, around the 1920's.

He has lived on Finden Street and Eskdale Road. He was married to Lucy and had a son and a daughter, Dennis and Kath.

Anyone able to help?

Thank you and kind regards,

Chris.

Hi,

Doing a bit of research into family history and am looking for any leads to information about my great grandad.

His name is Harry Elliott, he worked in the police force in Sheffield, around the 1920's.

He has lived on Finden Street and Eskdale Road. He was married to Lucy and had a son and a daughter, Dennis and Kath.

Anyone able to help?

Thank you and kind regards,

Chris.

Harry Elliott, police constable,

6 Burns Road.

By the way Chris, it is Findon Street, not Finden.

;)

m&p

I have a policeman in my family history - I wrote to the Sheffield Police and asked if I could search their records - got permission and went to the archives where a very large book was brought out and I found my ancestor - amongst his records was - fined 1 shilling for turning up late. It was very interesting.

Hi Chris. - the 1942 directory shows 'Harry Elliott, police constable" at 13 Findon Crescent. The 1968 and 1973 directories show Harry Elliott at 3 Eskdale Road.

Do you know when your great-grandad was born and died? the deaths index shows a Harry Elliott who died in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1977, d.o.b. 26 July 1896, another who died Jul-Sep 1977, d.o.b. 3 January 1894, and one who died Oct-Dec 1983, d.o.b. 15 August 1900. As your great-grandmother's name was Lucy I would guess that the Harry Elliott who married Lucy Allen in Sheffield in April-June 1916 is the right one. This would rule out the Harry born in August 1900 who wouldn't have been 16 at the time.

The births index shows a Kathleen Elliott, born Jul-Sep 1920, and a Dennis Elliott, born Oct-Dec 1926, both with the mother's maiden name given as Allen.

I think I've found all of three of the Harry Elliotts mentioned above in the 1911 census - PM me an email address if you'd like JPEG scans. It might also be possible to trace the family tree back further..:)

Hi Chris. - the 1942 directory shows 'Harry Elliott, police constable" at 13 Findon Crescent. The 1968 and 1973 directories show Harry Elliott at 3 Eskdale Road.

Do you know when your great-grandad was born and died? the deaths index shows a Harry Elliott who died in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1977, d.o.b. 26 July 1896, another who died Jul-Sep 1977, d.o.b. 3 January 1894, and one who died Oct-Dec 1983, d.o.b. 15 August 1900. As your great-grandmother's name was Lucy I would guess that the Harry Elliott who married Lucy Allen in Sheffield in April-June 1916 is the right one. This would rule out the Harry born in August 1900 who wouldn't have been 16 at the time.

The births index shows a Kathleen Elliott, born Jul-Sep 1920, and a Dennis Elliott, born Oct-Dec 1926, both with the mother's maiden name given as Allen.

I think I've found all of three of the Harry Elliotts mentioned above in the 1911 census - PM me an email address if you'd like JPEG scans. It might also be possible to trace the family tree back further..:)

Hi Hillsbro,

My dad says my grandad (Dennis Elliott) was born on 9th September 1926. Do you think there was a delay in registering the birth?

The Harry Elliott who lived at the two streets mentioned is the correct person. The date of death of the late 1970's is also correct. He served in the RMAC in the Great War and his service number is 1958. I have his medal index card (a copy of it!), he also received a defence medal in the Second World War.

Again, just trying to find stuff out about relatives because family members don't seem able to recollect or have much information available.

Not sure if this can be researched, but I have part of a letter addressed to my great grandfather (either Harry Elliott or Robert William White) in regards to an incident at Vickers Works in 1941. I think it is a letter of commendation in regards to conduct during an air-raid.

Chris.

...My dad says my grandad (Dennis Elliott) was born on 9th September 1926. Do you think there was a delay in registering the birth?...
A birth needs to be registered within 42 days. Although births were usually registered promptly, it did sometimes happen that a birth was registered in a different quarter from that in which the birth took place. The birth certificate of course always gives the exact date and place of birth.
Also, which directory of 1942 do you refer to? Come to mention it, the 1968 and 1973 ones as well!
I have Kelly's Directories for those three years. The Local Studies Library (Surrey Street) has many more, including a good selection on the shelves in the public area. I also have CDs with the 1905 and 1925 directories, and the 1901 is available online here.