Do you remember The Beat?

the_rudeboy

top band:thumbsup:

i couldnt really really admit to liking them at the time what with me been a heavy metal fan in the 80s , whappen was the best album they did and mirror in the bathroom was the best single

Originally posted by Bedhead

yes 'mirror in the bathroom' was good

did they do the song the chorus of which went something like 'i'm in demand i am the beat, i am the beat'

no that was a band called the look had a hit with it around 1980

in the early 80s when they toured america the beat hadf to change there name to the english beat , as there was another band around with the same name

Brings back some good memories.

Have got the first two Beat LP's on vinyl upstairs somehere - must have a look to see if I can find them on CD.

Didn't a couple of members of the band go on and form Fine Young Cannibals with Roland Gift?

I was a big ska fan in the 80s, but the The Beat didn't do it for me. Neither did The Selecter (apart from Too Much Pressure and bits of On My Radio). And don't even mention Bad Manners. :rolleyes:

Ant

Who did you like ska wise in the 80's then - you seem to have excluded most of the main players except the Specials (tho' I agree about Bad Manners - they were gross) - either that or 20 odd years on my mind is going soft.

Please don't say Madness - the Chas 'n Dave of ska.

Madness (the Chas n Dave poets of ska),

The Specials,

Prince Buster,

The Skatalites,

J.B's Allstars (not exactly ska, it's true).

Not all from the 80's, obviously, but I discovered them all in the 80's. The Liquidator has to be my all-time fave track. It kicks ass. Favourite group I suppose were the Skatalites. They all helped fill the gaping void when I discovered that punk was dying a lingering death.

Archived