Ronnie Crookes

xenia

Sorry to hear that Ronnie is no longer with us. He was a nice bloke. I remember standing with him one night when we spotted a group of lads walking towards the club door, at about 100 yards Ronnie said they are alright they are from Barnsley. I asked him how he knew and he said its the fashions, Barnsley are about 3 months behind Sheffield like we are 3 months behind London. He was spot on.

I then asked him how he knew they would be alright. He said its a stag night, watch this. He went over to the groop identified the bridegroom welcomed him and his companions to the club shook hands with them and told them that he would have an orange juice. They were made welcome kept Ronnie in orange juice all night, had a drink and a good laugh not a bit of trouble. He had a good way with people. A lot of todays doormen could learn a lot from Ronnie.

Ronnie died a few years ago , I know his son . Ronnie was also a good boxer and a nice bloke .his family lived in the woodseats area .

In the early 1970's, I was one of the founder members of the Sheffield and District ex boxers association. The first meeting was held at the Black Swan pub in the city centre. That was the first time I met Ronnie Crookes. After that we met on numerous occasions and went on trips together with some of the other members and their families. On more than one occasion, while we were on a trip somewhere or other, Ronnie would suddenly shout to the coach driver to stop. He would have spotted an ice cream van and he would jump off the coach and buy ice creams for all the women and kids on the coach. The men didn't get one as he said we were all fat enough. He was a nice fellow and well liked by many.

remember going to a dinner do for ronnie a good few years ago , vaguely I remember he fought in an eliminater to fight the great randolf turpin who later went on to fight the great sugar ray robinson . I think they said he lost the eliminator to fight for the british title .don't take this as 100% because it was a lot of years ago .the do was at roxies .

also the first venue chubby brown ever did in sheffield .

perhaps people will also remember eric ludlam who was also from woodseats later in life who fought ronnie twice , his son luggy went to rowlinson school .

Edited by alex3659

I know Ronnies two sons they are twins, Paul and Steve. Paul lives in Barbados but Steve still lives on woodseats and I bump into him occasionally. Ronnie and Eric Ludlam (mentioned elsewhere in this thread) where next door neighbours. Ronnie worked at the Penny Farthing with another well known bouncer 'Joe' who now works the carpark at Hallam Tennis Club on Eccy road. Ronnie was a real generous guy. It was said that if there was ever any trouble in the club he only needed one punch to end the argument!