What ever happened to the old cricket test ground?

Still a sore point with me, but one of many memories both from watching Yorkshire and playing for Sheffield Boys/Sheffield United CC with both excellent nets behind the Kop and the indoor ones in the pavilion.

For £1:5s - I had three nights coaching (nets) per week and twelve days first-class cricket. I received 2/6d at the end of each day's play collecting the red and green seat cushions up. The Kop was then stone steps and spectators sat on these cushions to watch the cricket.

Sheffield then was a thriving steel city with 24 hour (3x8hr) shifts and those working from 2pm until 10pm would go to the Lane for the morning session.

In 1960, temporary seating was erected on the cricket pitch for the FA Cup 6th round tie that Wednesday, with two Wilkinson goals, won 2-0. In those days, the players' entrance and tunnel to the pitch was on John Street, if that helps the younger readers picture the ground. At half-times, fans walked round from the Bramall Lane end to the Kop depending on which goal the Blades were attacking and did so through the cricket pavilion which had a characteristic scoreboard in front of it for football.

There used to be a boundary rope on the football field (goal to goal) roughly and the concrete around the ground was the boundary. The cricket grass was like a snooker table but there was a bit more grass on the football field. It was very well supported from all Yorkshire and top teams played there.