Sheffield Forum
Your message here

What Legally Do I Need To Do To Ride A Scooter / Motorbike?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

02-08-2008, 16:40   #1
nuttygirl

Total Posts: 677
I've searched for this, and it only comes up with bike ads, bike recommendations and events.

I got my car licence in March 2008 and it has fkp as a category on it, and obviously the car bit, but nothing more I am 23.

I'm very confused as to what I need to do and what I should get. I'm looking for a bike I don't have to ride with a ton of expensive training, and it has to be able to go on a motorway. I'd preferably like an old-school looking Vespa/Lambretta, but preferably new to minimise repairs.

I've heard about CBT, but I'm really confused as to what I have to do, and how much it will cost. I've heard you get different licences for difference sizes of bikes - any info?

Update - added my age for info.
_______
Ladies: Have you tried using a Mooncup? Don't know what one is? Search for my thread about them!

Help the enviroment and your pocket

Last edited by nuttygirl; 02-08-2008 at 20:20. Reason: Added info
02-08-2008, 17:07   #2
Dave650

Total Posts: 8,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttygirl View Post
I've searched for this, and it only comes up with bike ads, bike recommendations and events.

I got my car licence in March 2008 and it has fkp as a category on it, and obviously the car bit, but nothing more.

I'm very confused as to what I need to do and what I should get. I'm looking for a bike I don't have to ride with a ton of expensive training, and it has to be able to go on a motorway. I'd preferably like an old-school looking Vespa/Lambretta, but preferably new to minimise repairs.

I've heard about CBT, but I'm really confused as to what I have to do, and how much it will cost. I've heard you get different licences for difference sizes of bikes - any info?
And admin still won't listen to me about a vehicles section

Anyway, to get on two wheels providing you're over 17 (a lot of the ins and outs of this are to do with age so advising your age would be useful) you can ride a motorcycle upto 125 cc (about 70mph top speed and 0-60 in a few days but very good on fuel,tax and insurance) as long as you display L plates and have a valid driving license (/prov. driving license) and a valid CBT. A CBT is a day course consisting of an offroad and an on road test with a little bit of theory. It's nice and simple, and with the right instructor it's nothing to worry about, and a good day out. A CBT will set you back anywhere up to about 120 - but I'd seriously advise you to not go anywhere but here (for about 95 and plenty of free cups of tea ). With only a CBT you cannot ride on motorways or carry pillion passengers.

To progress on to motorways/bigger bike/license to let someone poo themself on your back seat; you need to pass a full motorcycle test (or a moped test). The only two types of full motorcycle test worth considering are the A2 test and the Das. To do either of these you need a license (provisional or car) a cbt and a theory test (yes another one, exactly the same as the car test bar 2 motorcycle questions and wahey the DSA have another 50 of your hard earned cash). Das is for 21+'s and stands for direct access scheme, you pretty much do intensive training (this can include a cbt if you don't have one) with your test at the end, you then have full entitlements to the road on whatever motorcycle you desire. With an A2 (standard) license (17+) you have full entitlement to the roads and passengers etc. but are restricted to a motorcycle that has a power output of no more than 33bhp (this can be any cc, I have a 650cc, just it has to be restricted by a shop to 33bhp - I have a list of bikes that are manufactured 33bhp with no need for restriction if you need it). I would recommend the A2 license as 1) it's cheaper and 2) your restricted to a sensible bike for a couple of years (don't get me wrong they're still pretty fast) so are less likely to kill yourself and can survive to progress to a bigger bike if you wish.
Think I've covered the essentials
_______

Last edited by Dave650; 02-08-2008 at 19:14.
02-08-2008, 18:30   #3
FUTO

Total Posts: 2,126
Top post Dave
02-08-2008, 19:11   #4
Dave650

Cheers Futo - I like to put a bit of effort into my drivvel every now and then...
_______
02-08-2008, 19:23   #5
Dave650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Think I've covered the essentials
I bloody didn't - you asked about price!
An A2 license (or A standard as I've seen it called) will set you back anywhere between 80-120 per lesson (all day) and most learners require 3 or 4 (or more) lessons and the test itself at present costs about 60.
Now there's a bit of a (to use my nan's word) hoo-ha with the motorcycle testing in the UK at the moment, on the 29th of September '08 onwards they are introducing a ridiculous, nazi concentration camp , money grabbing,bas 'new' part to the test, an offroad monoevres part which can only be tested at 'special super test centres' (of which there are only like 2 in the country that will be ready in time-nearest one derby or somewhere ). In this offroad monoevres section you'll have to do an emergency stop at about 30mph, avoid a (as far as I'm aware) stationary object at 31 or 32mph and some more bits - and of course this test costs more. I'm not sure how much yet but reckon it'll be 100+, I'm sure someone who doesn't have RSI could help us out here.
The test centres are rammed at the moment so you'll struggle to get a test before the new test is introduced (unless everything doesn't go according to plan and test centres aren't ready etc. ..... it's a possibility) - if you're serious about getting on a bike (I hope you are after making me type all this ) I'd talk to an instructor see what dates they have available then get straight online and book your theory and practical tests asap, then get a cbt and start having practical lessons, you may just get it by the skin of your teeth.

The DAS will cost you around 110 a day including loan of a bike and everything and takes about 4 or 5 days I beleive.

Dave
_______

Last edited by Dave650; 02-08-2008 at 19:28. Reason: typos!
02-08-2008, 20:25   #6
nuttygirl

Oh god help me...

Right - so it looks like I need a 'baby' licence (A2?) I don't want to drive something huge. I just want the cheapest way possible to get me on a motorway on a bike - any bike!

I can't afford my own car (am insured on partner's) so the closest I'm going to get to my own vehicle is a bike.

So bit by bit, I need to pay for (tell me if I'm right):

CBT (before I even sit on a bike)
Lessons
Theory Test
Practical Test

Yes? And what would the costs of this lot be ? :S
_______
Ladies: Have you tried using a Mooncup? Don't know what one is? Search for my thread about them!

02-08-2008, 20:27   #7
nuttygirl

No, wait, hang on, isn't there a licence somewhere between a 'any bike' and a 'under 50cc bike' ? Argh - so confused!
_______

Sponsored Links
02-08-2008, 23:53   #8
Dave650

Quote:
No, wait, hang on, isn't there a licence somewhere between a 'any bike' and a 'under 50cc bike' ? Argh - so confused!
No it's all there nutty girl your license to learn is the CBT, 50cc,125cc anything you want up to a 125 then you can take your theory, get some training days, take your A2 test and jump on a bike. A2 isn't necessarily a baby license (A1 is) I'm on A2 and I've still got a 0-60 in 3.75 seconds beast. And anyway your restrictions only last for 2 years after passing your test then you can get on anything you like!
Just get your CBT, then your theory, your lessons and take your A2 and your ready.
_______
03-08-2008, 08:22   #9
mary70

Total Posts: 2,150
you only have to be 16 to have a 50cc scooter
03-08-2008, 11:51   #10
Dave650

She's 23 and 50cc bikes aren't allowed on motorways regardless of license.
_______
05-08-2008, 07:40   #11
nuttygirl

So I can ride anything after 2 years? You sure? I don't need any additional tests?

So let me get this straight, I can drive a 125cc on a motorway?
_______

08-10-2008, 21:25   #12
sheffandy

Total Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave650 View Post
And admin still won't listen to me about a vehicles section

Anyway, to get on two wheels providing you're over 17 (a lot of the ins and outs of this are to do with age so advising your age would be useful) you can ride a motorcycle upto 125 cc (about 70mph top speed and 0-60 in a few days but very good on fuel,tax and insurance) as long as you display L plates and have a valid driving license (/prov. driving license) and a valid CBT. A CBT is a day course consisting of an offroad and an on road test with a little bit of theory. It's nice and simple, and with the right instructor it's nothing to worry about, and a good day out. A CBT will set you back anywhere up to about 120 - but I'd seriously advise you to not go anywhere but here (for about 95 and plenty of free cups of tea ). With only a CBT you cannot ride on motorways or carry pillion passengers.
Thanks for the info,a lot easier to read than the govenment website regarding CBT's etc.!
So I can ride upto a 125cc motor bike on a CBT(with 'L' plates) with a full UK driving license then just retake the CBT when it expires after two years(still with 'L' plates?)
Thanks.

Last edited by sheffandy; 08-10-2008 at 21:26. Reason: spell check
08-10-2008, 22:52   #13
Zamo

Total Posts: 4,523
Quote:
So I can ride anything after 2 years? You sure? I don't need any additional tests?

So let me get this straight, I can drive a 125cc on a motorway?
If you pass you test on a 125 then you are restricted to riding bikes of 33bhp or less for 2 years. After that you can ride anything.

You can ride a 125 on the motorway providing you are not a learner.

If you are after a scooter then they will all be under 33bhp unless you get some ridiculous mod'ed (excuse the pun) thing. You therefore only need to do the basic A2 test once you've passed the CTB and theory.

Oh yeah... and do it soon because the test is changing soon and will get harder!
28-02-2010, 16:47   #14
Gambler

Total Posts: 332
I've got a friend that is thinking of buying a vespa super 300 scooter. She's 26 and has a full car licence but that's it. She wants to ride this 300, now and again carry a passenger. Is this possible? I take it she would have to take a test etc?
28-02-2010, 17:10   #15
shanes teeth

Total Posts: 6,057
Having a bike is not necessarily going to be cheaper than having a car.I've never bought a bike for less than I could have got a decent car for.Insurance for a bike is not likely to be cheaper.Tax and petrol will be cheaper.Servicing and tyres will be the same.Add into the equation a minimum of 200 for clothing and all the costs of training and tests and I doubt it's cheaper. I spend much more money,mile for mile, on the bike than I do on the car.Also,if it's mainly for motorway use,a motorway is not the natural home of a motorbike. Having said all that,you'll have a lot more fun on a bike. Oh, and have a lot better chance of killing yourself.
01-03-2010, 21:07   #16
callippo

Total Posts: 3,976
Send a message via Yahoo to callippo
serviceable secondhand cars in Britain, and especially the north, are among the very least expensive you will find anywhere in the world. It's difficult to see any advantage in having a bike unless, well, you're nuts about bikes.

and don't forget that the British weather is terrible basically for motorcycles. Unless you're a nut about bikes, they only really become a viable option in places where cars are heavily taxed and expensive, but where bikes are cheap by comparison, and where the climate is warm.
02-03-2010, 02:38   #17
[Matt]

Total Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Oh god help me...

Right - so it looks like I need a 'baby' licence (A2?) I don't want to drive something huge. I just want the cheapest way possible to get me on a motorway on a bike - any bike!

I can't afford my own car (am insured on partner's) so the closest I'm going to get to my own vehicle is a bike.

So bit by bit, I need to pay for (tell me if I'm right):

CBT (before I even sit on a bike)
Lessons
Theory Test
Practical Test

Yes? And what would the costs of this lot be ? :S
Dont forget to factor in your motorcycle protective wear. You may be looking at around 400+ for that as that's roughly what mine came to...
_______
ubi dubium ibi libertas

Large scepticism leads to large understanding. Small scepticism leads to small understanding. No scepticism leads to no understanding. - Xi Zhi
02-03-2010, 09:53   #18
auto98uk
Lost the Game

Total Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave650 View Post
you can ride a motorcycle upto 125 cc (about 70mph top speed and 0-60 in a few days but very good on fuel,tax and insurance)

I used to have a 125, and it was as quick as any bike I have had since! Is that the only restriction, 125cc, cos you can get some very fast 125's?
02-03-2010, 10:16   #19
Dave650

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto98uk View Post
I used to have a 125, and it was as quick as any bike I have had since! Is that the only restriction, 125cc, cos you can get some very fast 125's?
Sorry you're quite right I believe there is a power restriction but it's not documented very well on the net in bhp terms from what I can see it's either 12bhp or 14.6bhp, 25kw also rings a bell. Bit of a minefield but you're safe with any four stroke 125. If you plan on getting a 2 stroke (hehehe fun) then you might need to read into it a bit more, and while you're there find a good guide on top end rebuilds.

My post above is pretty outdated now I haven't covered the new module things they've introduced and the increase of price that's come packaged with that.

Anyhoo I'd always advise finding reputable links on legal-type issues rather than listening to a wierdo on the net.
_______
02-03-2010, 10:18   #20
Dave650

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanes teeth View Post
Insurance for a bike is not likely to be cheaper.
Very much dependant on age, quote for me on a first year on a 'big' bike : 500 quote for me on a boring car: 2400
_______
Reply To Topic