Hillfoot school from the 1940s & 50s

katrina

• 2 years later...

Mr Turner, Miss Buxton can't remember any other teachers names. I used to live on Pickering Road. We used to go down the station steps to school, over the railway bridge where we used to stand and let the steam cover us all as the train went past, then down some more steps, onto Farfield Road, then Hoyland Road, past the coal yard and on to Hillfoot School. It was alright going down the station steps, but they seemed endless when going up them. I remember calling for Susan Fisher and Lynn Brammer who lived on Wallace Road and we walk ed down together to school. I remember the crates of milk left out in the sun all day (never liked to drink milk on its own since that time). There used to be a coal heap that we all used to climb on which fed the boilers. Does anyone else remember those times.

did anyone go to hillfoot school in 1956 - 1962

Hi Katrina - I have just put a new thread on named Hillfoot School 1954 to 1960, this was the time I was at Hillfoot then I moved to Chaucer School. My sister Evelyn started Hillfoot in 1956 to 1962. Can you remember Mr Turner, He had a dimple in his chin, and Miss Buxton. I can't remember any more names, can you jog my memory. I used to live on Pickering Road, used to call for Susan Fisher and Lyn Brammer and we used to walk to school. Down the station steps, over railway bridge where we used to stop and get covered in steam if there was a train going by. Down past Farfield Road onto Hoyland Road, past the Coal sheds and then on to Hillfoot School. I remember Carol Wakelin, Peter Beale, Joan Wharton, Kevin Rigby and Robert Haslam who I have been married to for 38 years, to name but a few.