And another question about Taxis.

My daughter is (rapidly) approaching the age where she and her friends are likely to start using taxis. I want to make sure she is as safe as is practical

Over in America they've just launched Uber Teen for kids aged 13-17

Parents get notified the minute their kid requests a ride and they can monitor the journey and call the driver directly.

When the teen requests a ride from their smartphone, the platform automatically matches them to the most experienced drivers with the highest rating.

See video:

http://www.abc15.com/news/state/uber-launching-teen-rider-program-in-arizona

Over in America they've just launched Uber Teen for kids aged 13-17

Parents get notified the minute their kid requests a ride and they can monitor the journey and call the driver directly.

When the teen requests a ride from their smartphone, the platform automatically matches them to the most experienced drivers with the highest rating.

See video:

http://www.abc15.com/news/state/uber-launching-teen-rider-program-in-arizona

Thanks .

As this thread has morphed into including the ability of various types of drivers - hackney carriage v private hire, I'd like to extend it even further...

My daughter is (rapidly) approaching the age where she and her friends are likely to start using taxis. I want to make sure she is as safe as is practical, in terms of safe vehicles and safe drivers. My gut feeling is to insist she uses (pre booked) black cabs, but I don't really know what is important and what isn't. Are there any particular do's and don'ts?

(Goes away to check how to write the plural of do. Dos?, Does? Nothing looks right.)

She'll be with friends right? That's got to be the most sensible way to stay safe and happens to mean they can split the bill.

Guest sibon
She'll be with friends right? That's got to be the most sensible way to stay safe and happens to mean they can split the bill.

As long as they all get out at the same place, which is fine going out, not so good getting home.

My solution ES, is to insist that my daughters use pre-booked cars. I'm fine with Uber, or City. Both send details of the driver in advance. If they can share a car, that's even better. If they can't, they have phones and can call if they feel uneasy.

ETA. With City, you can monitor the location of the car in real time, using their app.

Can't remember how we did it at 16, perhaps dropped the girls off first, or we lived close enough in the village to get out in groups.

Uber is waaayyy too expensive in my opinion. Recently I've used City taxi's new app , it's very similar to Uber except you don't link it to your bank account and still pay the driver.

Much cheaper also.

The only time I really use Uber is when I'm in Bangkok and need to go on a longish journey like the airport and I can't find a local taxi who will use the meter or give me a decent set price.