Fowler Brothers (Wilfred and Lawrence)

Hi,

I am currently looking for information on William and Lawrence Fowler and the Plommer Murder.

I have established that it all started due to a "gentleman" (I use that term losely) called Trimmer Welsh and his advances to a bar maid.

I also know that the murder occured after two other scuffles between the brothers and Plommer. He had beaten them twice and knocked their egos and Wilfred about.

I would like to know which Pub the intial problems started and where the Brothers where from. I am intrested in any information you can provide me with as i am a bit of a local history geek and also may be related to them unfortunately.

I have read the gang wars thread and was intrested in the other details of the gang wars.

Please help me out!

Cheers

You probably know this already but there's an excellent book about this called the Sheffield Gang Wars by J P Bean - the Sheffield Scene shop on Surrey Street will almost certainly have it.

I read it recently and couldn't put it down. My partner's father was vaguely related to one of the gang members mentioned in it.

Yea I got it from the libary a couple of years ago. Top book!

Just trying to find out the specifics if anyone knows them.

Cheers Pal

Hi,

how are you related to them?

Cheers

Originally posted by Cathrine

Hi,

how are you related to them?

Cheers

They were some relation to my grandfather i believe. Possibly unclues. I'm unsure it's something i have always been told but never givens to many specifics.

Are u a relation yourself?

Hi

Yep, Lawrence was my Great Grandfather. Dont know much about it apart from reading the book and talking to my Mum and Dad (he was my Mum's Grandfather). Apparently my dad was told to stay away from my Mum because of it?? and this was 40 years or more after it had happened!!

Very strange

Yea it is strange.

I found out from my mother who married in to the family.

Lawernce and wilfred are quite distant relations yet it was still known in our side of the family.

They were some relation to my grandfather i believe. Possibly unclues. I'm unsure it's something i have always been told but never givens to many specifics.

Are u a relation yourself?

hi i am also related to the fowler brothers do you know of the goddards as my family tree takes us to the fowler broth via the goddards

hi i am also related to the fowler brothers do you know of the goddards as my family tree takes us to the fowler broth via the goddards

Hello,

My Great Grandfather was called Robert, I believe he was Wilbert and Lawrence's brother, (older) He was a barber by trade and had a son called Robert (Bob) (my grandad). He left Sheffield in 1913. Am having trouble researching as the 1901 census does not cover Wilfred.

All I know is that he left Sheffield with his son and started afresh and that his brothers were involved in gangs and someone got killed with a poker. I have since got hold of JP Bean book that verifies the story. All the family knew about this but had always being told to not speak of it. There is also a link with Charlie Peace which is a puzzle as he was from a different era, was there another by the same name or were the Fowler's (pre Lawrence and Wilbert) involved in the 1880's gangland. My Grandfather said the Fowler's harboured him for some of the time while he was on the run.

Cannot of being the Fowlers in the Plommer case!

Hi

Yep, Lawrence was my Great Grandfather. Dont know much about it apart from reading the book and talking to my Mum and Dad (he was my Mum's Grandfather). Apparently my dad was told to stay away from my Mum because of it?? and this was 40 years or more after it had happened!!

Very strange

Hello,

My Great Grandfather was called Robert, I believe he was Wilbert and Lawrence's brother, (older) He was a barber by trade and had a son called Robert (Bob) (my grandad). He left Sheffield around 1913. Am having trouble researching as the 1901 census does not cover Wilfred.

All I know is that he left Sheffield with his son and started afresh and that his brothers were involved in gangs and someone got killed with a poker. I have since got hold of JP Bean book that verifies the story. All the family knew about this but had always being told to not speak of it.

There is also a link with Charlie Peace which is a puzzle as he was from a different era, was there another by the same name were the Fowler's (pre Lawrence and Wilfred) involved in the 1880's gangland.

If they were brothers then my great grandfather was your great grandfathers brother

it was the fowler bros. amos stewart.a man called jackson.and two others i forget there names.i lived on the same road as the fowlers.ie don road.

the man they killed was called plommer ex soldier who was not scared of

them.they went to his house on princess st mob handed an used a bayonet

to kill him.i knew amos when he came out of prison.a broken man and so

he should be.it was a cowardly act done by arseholes.

I am researching my family tree and have just discovered that Amos is one of ours (not the pedigree I'd hoped for) I am appalled yet fascinated that someone so vile should be a relative. I would be really interested in any information you have on him please pm with anything you remember, thanks