Wartime Frecheville

Happy memories. anyone remember Lorraine Ibbotson who was the lead dancer - I know she went to Paris to work at the Follis but not heard since, still in contact with Josie Harrison and Mollie Sherwood who were also in the chorus line, my fingers are still sore sewing all those clothes we had to make, some very weird and wonderfull. I remember

Aladin and 'Widow T****y' falling over on the opening night and Buttons 'throwing a tantrum' He said we made too much noise in the dressing rooms!! We were12 years old- what did he expect?

Yes Laughter, now you've mentioned her, I remember Lorraine Ibbotson. She was in my year group at Frecheville Sec Mod School. I believe she joined the Bluebell Girls and I'm sure I recall seeing her on TV in the 60's - I think it was on "Sunday Night at the London Palladium".

I can 't remember wartime Frecheville but just after the war, 1945-6, I 'd be 4 years old and I have a sister 11 years older than me. We lived then just off Richmond Road. I very clearly remember her taking me [ in a 'tansad' sometimes ? ] to Frecheville from Richmond Road.

We 'd walk down Hunter's Lane, stopping sometimes at a little house-cum-shop for a cool, soft drink. Then along that road to the Rex cinema, turn left, down the hill, up the hill and, hey presto, Frecheville ! For a 4 year old, at that time, it was a sort of mini-holiday ! The area all seemed clean and fresh-----even the name implied THAT !

Roughly in the middle of all the houses was a pond where kids sailed boats and caught tadpoles. I can 't remember much else-----mainly the fact of just ' going to Frecheville '.

Innocent, simple pleasures ......amazing how they stick so vividly in the memory, though !

Happy memories. anyone remember Lorraine Ibbotson who was the lead dancer - I know she went to Paris to work at the Follis but not heard since, still in contact with Josie Harrison and Mollie Sherwood who were also in the chorus line, my fingers are still sore sewing all those clothes we had to make, some very weird and wonderfull. I remember

Aladin and 'Widow T****y' falling over on the opening night and Buttons 'throwing a tantrum' He said we made too much noise in the dressing rooms!! We were12 years old- what did he expect?

Hazel - sorry, unable to respond to you until I achieve my 5 but will work at it - good to hear you are all still around !D

I remember Frecheville very well,we lived there from 1939 until 1948. Despite the war we kids had a great time we roamed all over the area across the road from Birley Moor rd which in those days was linghtly wooded area further along opposite the shops was an open area which later was dug out red ash which was used as base material for airfield runways. My dad was the local bobby and all the special constables would arrive each evening to collect their steel helmets etc. We lived next door to the Henry Boots yard and during air raids the yard manager and his family would come round to our air raid shelter which Dad had dug out in the back garden, we always knew when a raid was imminent as Dad had to sound the siren which was at the community centre. We had very active scout group. I attended St Ciprians church which was at that time was prefabricated buiding

Might not be wartime Frechville but I used to go to the scouts at the community centre around 1956 ish the leader was bricklayer who worked at STD and he built with help of the troup a new hut somewhere down Lindsay/Wardlow areà. His name was Louis Mcnamarra----------Is it still standing can't see it on Google earth?